• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

.48 A/R turbine housing?

The Racing Volvo said:
mine's a .63

i don't know what every one elses is.

Yeah, .63 for turbine here. Maybe everyone is getting turbine and compressor mixed up?

no. its a 48 ar turbine this side of the mississippi. I think in some areas, some people got the 63, othres got the 48. I used to think it went 48ar on 740s and 63 ar on 240 turbos.

tequila_gundam_no_chaser said:
no. its a 48 ar turbine this side of the mississippi. I think in some areas, some people got the 63, othres got the 48. I used to think it went 48ar on 740s and 63 ar on 240 turbos.

Strange. Well mine is a .48 Compressor/ .63 Turbine on the car in the sig.

Some 240's have a .63 A/R turbine housing. No 740's do.

Now I have a question. Is the .63 turbine wheel the same as the .48 turbine wheel in the volvo application? Also, I want to put a Volvo .63 A/R Volvo housing on a ford turbine. (might even be a .48 A/R turbine housing ford turbo that I will upgrade to .63 if it works.)

So two things:

1. Is the turbine wheel the same between the volvo .63 and the volvo .48?
2. Is the turbine wheel the same between the volvo .48 and the ford .48 and/or .63?

yes and yes. the ar doesnt directly influence wheel size. the ford turbine shaft is the same as the volvo. exact same. as are all other factory t3 turbine shafts (unless otherwise specified)

All stock T3 turbos (Volvo, Ford, Merc, etc) all use the same -72 turbine wheel. Generally referred to as the std or Stg1 wheel. As long as the housings are all machined for the same wheel, they're swappable.

quick question...why would you spend money to downsize your turbine housing? .63 will give slightly more lag but also won't run out of steam as early

im confused :???:

760T man said:
the original oil cooled 240 turbos got the 63 turbine housing, all watercooled units were 48 including replacement units...
Yeah that's what I've noticed as well. I've had a few of each in my garage, and that seems to hold true. The wheels are the same between the two, as Kenny said. And yes, you can just install a 60 trim wheel and compressor housing to the front of a volvo turbo, and have yourself a 60/63. We did it to my brothers car while it was still mounted on the vehicle! Just pop the 6 compressor housing bolts off, get the comp wheel off, and install the new parts. Though you might want to get it properly balanced if you want it to last forever, and in that case, rebuild it too.

John

linuxman51 said:
yes and yes. the ar doesnt directly influence wheel size. the ford turbine shaft is the same as the volvo. exact same. as are all other factory t3 turbine shafts (unless otherwise specified)
So I could remove my .48 turbine housing and slap a .63 one on without changing the exhaust wheel?

turbinehousings.jpg

So which .48 T3 turbine housing are you getting? Like the one on the left, or the one on the right?
Both are .48 T3, but the one on the right does use a slightly larger wheel.

Volvo 240s got both the .63 and .48 exhaust housings. The .63 housings never came watercooled. The .48's were oil cooled at least in the early models. Why do I know? Because I have several .48 oil cooled Volvo turbos from 240s.

The .63 turbine housing will bolt up directly to any T3 on a Volvo 200 or 700 series. I've done this to two 42 cold side cartridges, one oil cooled, the other water cooled.

I have seen watercooled 240's, but it looks like they have 740 turbochargers. The waterlines always seem spliced in ghetto style. I havent seen a stock looking watercooled 240. That statement might stir a debate. It doesnt really matter.

The .60 ford/nissan compressor housing fits on the .42 A/R backplate. However, my friend says the .60 housing will NOT fit on the volvo .52 A/R backplate. Also, the .60 housing will not fit the .42 wheel. You need a 60 trim wheel to go with the .60 A/R housing. The inducer diameter is much bigger on the 60 wheel.

Yes, you can put a .63 A/R housing on your stock volvo t3 .48 A/R turbine housing with no issues. That is what I am going to do. I just needed to make sure the turbines were the exact same. My turbo buddy told me that all the stock t3's will use the same turbine wheel. I am looking for a .63 A/R stage 3 turbine housing still.

Oh, and BTW the nissan comp housing is setup for hoseclamps so you dont have to deal with that ford bolt-on flange crap. The nissan housing also doesnt say .60 A/R anywhere. I had to bring a ford .60 A/R housing to double check.

I dont know if this is the right thread to bring it up in, but.... how bad is it to put a different compressor wheel on a different turbo without balancing it? I know each part is individually balanced, but the assembly is also balanced as a whole. I ask because I am going to build a .63 A/R volvo turbine housing and center section turbo with a ford compressor wheel.

Kevin Hawkinson said:
turbinehousings.jpg

So which .48 T3 turbine housing are you getting? Like the one on the left, or the one on the right?

Kevin, I've got a new version of the Lotus housing coming from Europe, but I wasn't aware that the turbine wheel was larger for these. Comments?
Thanks
RR

Kevin Hawkinson said:
turbinehousings.jpg

once again, AR does not indicate or dicate turbine wheel size. I've put a stage2 turbine in a 48 AR housing, its still a 48 ar housing. the 63 ar housing flows more than the 48, esp on top end, the 48 might allow for better spool up, but top end flow is the 63's bag.
re compressor wheels and such... you can put a 60 trim wheel in the 42 ar compressor housing, you just have to get it cut on a lathe to fit, and the backing plate for the ford housing is dimensionally the same as the backing plate on the volvo turbo.

Back