• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

6500 RPM redline tach - also clock info

BMEPdoc

I purchased this years ago for my '93 240 but never got around to installing it. It's been so long I can't recall why I didn't install this but I purchased this as well as a clock, and dash insert. I sold the car over 10 years ago. Perhaps the 6500 redline tachs were early and wouldn't work on the newer cars? I know you folks know these cars. What years do these fit and were they options? Any info is appreciated. Here's a couple photos.

DSC00703.JPG

DSC00704.JPG

DSC00706.JPG

Thanks
doc

Last edited:
You basically have the kit which installs the large tach in place of the big clock. Then you remove the blanking plate and install the small clock. The harness for the clock goes to the back of the tach. It will fit 81-93 dashes. That looks like the matte finish tach which was used from 89-93.

In case you were wondering, the 6500rpm red line on that tach is about 500rpm above where the late model redblock engine management starts cutting you off, and about 1500 above peak HP on a NA engine with plain 'ol M cam.

I believe the 6500 would be found in the 240 Turbo and 240 non-turbo K-jet cars, so pre-83*. Those didn't have electronic fuel injection and wouldn't have limiters at all, as far as I remember.

*there's an '82 B21F-MPG LH1.0 engine that has electronic fuel injection and likely would have a 6000rpm tach, if equiped.

I ran my stock bottom end /stock top end '87 B230F to 6800rpm after switching to megasquirt. Original 530 head, original valve springs, just a K cam. Nothing broke or failed as a result of the high RPM. It was rare, usually only during autocross.

Back