• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

7/9xx Drive Shaft Center Support Bushing

Did we verify the inner diameter of the needed bearing, so it will actually go on the driveshaft properly? Easy enough with the old bearing off. I think there was a couple of different sizes, depending on the DS used. My old parts PDF shows either 183265 or 181549, depending on the engine/trans combo used.
I didn't...just sent it.

I know what I purchased and damaged last night was correct, though my methods need some improving

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At 9:50 he heats the bushing in hot water and cools the propshaft, then just slides the center support on.

I wanted to update you, ZVOLV, as you asked me to document the process with photos. I got carried away in the process and failed at photos.

After my first failed attempt, my second bout was with a pre-assembled bearing/bushing. I didn't riddle with heat/freezing, to assist. Instead, a light coat of lithium grease, and pushed the bearing on with a large socket. it was a 1-1/16" diameter socket.

My struggle initially, with pressing the bearing on the shaft was due to me trying to use a PCV pipe as the drift. It was just a bit to large diameter for the bearing, and when it slipped, it failed. I'll reserve the PCV for engine seals, as that's why I have it.

The 1-1/16" socket was perfect, and I had the bearing installed in no time.

The washer/dust shields that came with the new bearing/bushing assembly were different from the original Volvo units, and weren't intuitive for me do determine side and orientation. I reused the original Volvo units, as they were plenty healthy.

When I disassembled the car for the first attempt, it was clear the old bushing was blown out, and it was the cause of my driveline clunk. I haven't driven the car but out of the garage since, but it already sounds and feels better.

Back