• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 mods / Auto to Manual transmission swap?

Matthieu

I wanted to build an engine for my 740wagon but not only is it going to cost lots to get the car in the shape I want.I am at the stage were I don't know what I want but the 740 makes me look like a old guy. I mean I am 17 I don't need to look like a married father.
So the junk yard has a crashed 94 850 in not bad shape for $1500 . I have a frame machine and lots of storage. but I kow nothing about 850 engines. what mods can I do to an 850 or better yet any links
thanks in advance
Matt
PS I saw a nice 850t5r for sale here in miami seems to be in good condition but the guy wants $14000 or $15000 .

theres a rough draft of a 850 staged build up in the article composition forum. as far as motor goes, you can basically follow the same guidelines that we use for redblocks

I dont think anyone here has done one, and in searching around other boards so far everyone has throw wet towels on every post that had anything to do with AT to MT swaps. (bunch of nay sayers they all are).

My guess is that as straight forward as it may look, the problems could be electrical. I believe the ECU has some control of the auto tranny that in turn needs data back from it for fuel managment or something?
Everything else should be as is with any other auto/manual tranny swap, swap over all physical parts from the manual car... i do not think the shifter position would change and all the mount points should be there.

The key here would be to find a good M56 (thats the fwd 5spd right?) and all the parts for it cheap. They're quite a rareity in North America

Talk to Bill at Adrenaline Racing. He's over on Volvospeed, his site is currently down though so that's the only avenue I have of finding him...

He has put kits together for 4-5 people over there I know of, possibly more. Basically it's an M56H gearbox, all necessary electronics, pedal assembly, pressure plate, R clutch, flywheel (not sure if it's aluminum?), basically a complete bolt-on swap kit that will handle in excess of 400 ft-lbs of torque for $2500 shipped, I believe. I also think this is essentially the setup that the 11-second Atech car in Sweden uses.

Quite a few people over there have done this, maybe some of them can relate experiences. So far as I know, not many of them are registered here, but if one happens across this post, hopefully they'll chime in.

Bill would also probably be willing to help you get individual parts if you'd like to go that route, but I think his package is about as good as you'll get...

Back