• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

900 Series Performance

MiniMotoSX

Soo I've been looking around hoping to find some things to be able to help my 940 get it's speed up a bit more. I've found it's been hard to find anything really aftermarket for it out there. Does anyone know of anything you can do yourself or anyone make custom aftermarket 940 performance parts out there? Btw, no turbo here.:-(

Well I have a 289 bored out some with some other goodies on it but I'm keeping that one for my 65' Mustang. I've heard about this megasquirt stuff, what is this?

Well I have a 289 bored out some with some other goodies on it but I'm keeping that one for my 65' Mustang. I've heard about this megasquirt stuff, what is this?

diy fuel injection....not worth the hassle, won't make the car any faster

msefi.com

I think there is probably a bunch of power to be picked up by going to megasquirt. There is timing that can be modified for example. This is imo of course. I'd probably add a turbo though. IDK you could stroke it out, put some penta cams in. IDK. How much power are you looking for?

Well maybe it's just me, I've been around faster cars my whole life and my Volvo doesn't compare haha. I was hoping to get about 30 hp or more..if that'd be even possible.

A cam would give you about 20 hp more or less, but the easiest thing to do to get more power is to just turbocharge it. Many members on here have done this conversion.

cut balance shaft belt.

put on 940 turbo exhaust.

put in a 960 throttle body.

gut the airbox.

do whatever is required to get thelostartof's high-rpm turbo chip and turbo ecu into the car so you can rev to 6800 RPM. this might require changing a bunch of sensors and the fuel injectors... IDK. talk to mike.

put in a manual transmission.

those things would make the car mucho faster.

Well about the how manual swap deal I'm pretty strong in believing that automatics are faster than manual cars. At least at the drag strip. Not as much on a road course track though.

Thats absolutely not true for the case of a torqueless non-turbo 4 cylender. If you go turbo or nitrous, the story changes.

The 16-valve car has so little low-RPM torque that the best 60 foot possible with an auto is north of 2.4 seconds.

with a manual transmission you can get easy 2.1 60-foots.

BTW the 16-valve auto already has a lower 1st gear ratio and a lower rear-end ratio (4.11) than most other volvos... thats how torqueless the engine is.

it's not that bad.
46821344.jpg

turbo dat sumbeech and hold on. Or just get an 8v turbo engine and drop it in. While a powerful NA engine is quite rewarding, it's also expensive to get there, for the most part. The 16v +T would definitely hold up to the fast cars you've been around before- would surprise you to say the least.

People added fuel to fuel injected engines before chips and MS even existed...for less money, too. Hell, guys put on turbos like this for years. Just up the line pressure...adjustable FPR. That should provide enough fuel for several mods to the N/A 4-pot.

But even then...let's say he goes MS, and adds bolt-ons to his N/A car. I bet 2 things are gonna happen.

1), He's going to hit his power limits from bolt ons too soon, and be disappointed...once he realizes that

2) In order to get any more substantial N/A power, it's going to cost double what his car is even worth...with a built head and some decent cams from Sweden.

He'll already be in for MORE than the cost of going the turbo route, but he'll have less HP and way less TQ.

If it were me, I wouldn't do it that way. Just my .02.

I agree....MS alone would be a waste of time and money....

I think the OP needs to learn cars and physics more...anyone that has a stock n/a 4 banger w/auto in a fully equipped car that thinks a few bolt on items will turn their Volvo into a tire smoker (or any similar vehicle) needs a reality check....

as for adding a turbo...not difficult at all, just need the ability to read and comprehend

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=52466
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=26609

Back