• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Amazon handling and F/R weight bias questions.

benski

Is the best handling with sport springs on a 130 found with an IPD sway bar and no rear sway bar? And, does anyone know the front/rear weight bias for a 2 door? Would moving the battery to the trunk be worth the effort? The vehicle isn't my daily driver, so ride quality and NVH issues aren't at the top of the worries list.

A stiffer front roll bar will just increase the understeer. Some people prefer this though, especially with an open diff, where a rear bar will reduce the inside tire's traction in a corner.

The front/rear IPD sway combo will pull that understeer back to more neutral.

I have no idea what the spring rate is on the IPD springs but most lowering springs are a little on the soft side. Slightly stiffer spings are likely to be better. Decent dampers that can control the springs fitted make a big differnece. I would not bother with the IPD bars but if you are going to fit them them make sure you do both.

Driving at 80MPH on two lane roads is hardly pushing the amazon and with a half decent suspension serup you are not going to be pushing the car at those sort of speeds.

One of the biggest that effects handling and grip is your wheels and tyres. The original 165's are rather on skinny side

I have no idea what the spring rate is on the IPD springs but most lowering springs are a little on the soft side. Slightly stiffer spings are likely to be better. Decent dampers that can control the springs fitted make a big differnece. I would not bother with the IPD bars but if you are going to fit them them make sure you do both.

Driving at 80MPH on two lane roads is hardly pushing the amazon and with a half decent suspension serup you are not going to be pushing the car at those sort of speeds.

One of the biggest that effects handling and grip is your wheels and tyres. The original 165's are rather on skinny side

Yeah this, if your gonna be doing good speeds into corners you wont be happy with those skinny stock tires especially in the rear. I put some shorter sidewall and wider tires on there and it was a big difference. Even though the rims were too narrow for the tires I was using.

Thanks for everyone's input. I can sure vouch for the tire comments here; my 122 wagon runs out of traction (and feeling stable) early on its little bicycle tire 165's.:omg: My 130 has 205/60-14s on it, so it should be quite a bit better. I've got a set of KYBs on both cars, I'll see how they work on the 130 when I finish getting it together. For now I'll put the front and rear IPD sways on and see how it goes. I can always take the rear off to experiment.

Thanks for everyone's input. I can sure vouch for the tire comments here; my 122 wagon runs out of traction (and feeling stable) early on its little bicycle tire 165's.:omg: My 130 has 205/60-14s on it, so it should be quite a bit better. I've got a set of KYBs on both cars, I'll see how they work on the 130 when I finish getting it together. For now I'll put the front and rear IPD sways on and see how it goes. I can always take the rear off to experiment.

And while experimenting, you can double the front using the old and the ipd at the same time :-P But in all seriousness you may like it.

Back