• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Another 398 scp thread

tiredoldtommy

Last week, I pulled the 398 SCP head from the '84 244ti parts car and dropped it off at the machine shop for pressure testing. The shop called this morning and said everything is fine. No cracks.

So, the next step is to tell them what to do with it. What I'm thinking is new stainless 38mm exhaust valves, new springs, guides if needed, shave it, and some cleanup and gasket matching. Then, put the A cam and Dale's gear in it.

Questions:
How much should I have it shaved. It would be great to have somewhat higher compression, but I'm not sure I want to go so far as to make it into an interference engine. Also, I know I'll need to adjust the cam timing to compensate, but how far can I go without having to use a shorter timing belt?

Will I have to have bigger valve seats to accommodate the 38mm valves?

Where should I buy the valves and springs? I'm sure the machine shop could source them, but they don't usually work on Volvo stuff, so would it be better to buy from Knox or someone else on here.

What essential info should I be able to provide the shop. They are a highly competent performance shop, but they mostly build small block chebbies for the stock car boys.

The head will be going onto a b21ft, I'm just not sure which one yet. The block it came off of is full of rust in #4 from a blown HG. Right now, it's soaking in Diet Coke to try to eat enough rust so that I can move it and see whether the block is usable. Well, I'm sure it could be saved, even if it had to be sleeved, but I might need dynamite to get the slug out of the bore.

I've spent all afternoon searching the forums and my brain hurts.

i did stock valves and bigger cam(rsi stage2) in my ported 530 on my b21ft. imo it's cost vs benifit, i tried to spend the least and get the most. i'm sure the valves will help though, can't think of a b21ft build with shaved head and big valves to reference

Back