• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 B23 crank pulleys; how to get orientation right?

Forg

So after bolting the front-end of the B23 back together mit shiny new chopper-wheel & CAS, I've realised I need to fit the cambelt-cover in order to get the degrees-before-TDC markings - I'm setting up the ECU from scratch, so need to adjust the dizzy (for sync signal) to the right spot, using a timing-light.

Thing is, from what I recall of earlier today, only the rearmost pulley has a keyway in it; all the rest, held on by 6 bolts, can therefore fit in 6 different rotations. I have NFI what the timing mark even looks like on that front pulley; how do I work out how it bolts on?

There are various marks on the edge of the pulley that are as pronounced as the one which I think is the timing-mark ... however, if i line-up the TDC mark on the camshaft (ie. which means the crank & dizzy-drive pulleys too), there's a mark on the pulley which lines-up at exactly zero against the 0 - 10 - 20 - 30 markings on the cambelt-cover.

That's going to be it, isn't it, given where it is?

I think I might liquid-paper it or some-such, if that's it.

To try and describe the problem, here's an MS-Paint image which will probably just confuse it:

is_this_the_right_notch_zps27030fc0.png

The situation, when the engine is turned-off, is as shown above.
To the left is the position of all the marks on all the pulleys; all are at the TDC position.
To the right, there are unfortunately lots of chips-or-whatever on the pulley you use with the timing-light ... however, there is one fairly prominent notch which lines-up next to the "0" on the cam-belt cover.

THIS is the notch which I should liquid-paper so it really stands out when using the timing-light to set the dizzy position; isn't it?

Ta, but I'm past all of that ... the left-hand side of my diagram was supposed to indicate that all those marks are lined-up & that #1 is at TDC.

I was just looking for the mark on the "balancer" to highlight with white paint or similar so I can use it against the "lower timing cover" (well, on my car, the lower part of the timing-cover - the cover is all one piece) with a timing-light.

However ... since I started typing this I've had confirmation elsewhere that it is the right mark; so ta for the help! :)

Back