• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230 ... Single coil vs coil-per-spark?

Forg

Looks like I may have to get new engine management, and I'm wondering whether there's any real advantage to getting individual coils? I've already got a Bosch ignition module & ME717 coil, being distributed via a dizzy ... but the cost of individual coils doesn't scare me as long as there'd be a real advantage of some description. I kind of think there wouldn't be, as it's not setup to rev higher than normal & I'm not planning in running ignition timing at the ragged edge (no E85 for me, not available widely enough as yet).

Apart from a coolness factor, is it worth doing? Or just use the ish I've already got?

- elimination of 2 mechanical wear items (dizzy + rotor)
- strong spark in each cilinder, specially at high revs.
If you have the choice COP is the better one.

Yeah, see, I don't even know which option YLD is using ... and also don't know if his bigger jurbo (which won't fit in my car unless I replace manifold + downpipe + top of exhaust) and B230 bottom-end are bigger issues anyhoo.

Coil-on-plug ... literally? Or leads from somewhere less heaty? And what to replace the dizzy cap with?

DSC_0300.jpg

How do you synch the CAS signal without the dizzy?

aftermarket sensors and wheels mounted on the front of the crankshaft with a spacer and a mount for the sensor you'll be making yourself....or an lh 2.4 flywheel and crank position sensor...which will require you to drill a hole in your bellhousing if you dont have lh2.4....

I've done it two ways.

First method I've used involved welding a tooth to my cam gear and mounting a sensor to the valve cover. The stock 2.2 dizzy acted as the crank trigger:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3033607&postcount=66

Second method involved an adapter to mount a DSM CAS with a hi res disk in place of the stock dizzy, much like the Yoshifab piece:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3280027&postcount=102

The end result was being able to run sequential fuel and spark. In my application I used LM7 coils mounted to the valve cover. Wires are stock GM truck wires. Cheap and effective:

DSCN0105.JPG

Back