• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b230 with a 16v head?

svxguy

Ok ive read for like a few hours now and my questions are still not answered. Help please:):)

#1 Can i just put a 16v head on my B230 change the timing belt and call it good?

#2 Do i need to get the bottom crank pully also off the B234?

#3 I have not found any info about doing this in a 240, will the minifolds just bolt right up or is there modding involved?.

The motor im building is a B230ft... Distiuber has already been changed to the normal 240 spot.
Any help would be awesome!!

As for number 1.... yes/no.....
From a technical standpoint i've read that you can occasionally get away with it. I know one of the guys here has. The block/deck height and piston relationship kinda varies thoughout the years. So... on some occasions you can get a block/head mix that'd do so kinda safely, but on others no.

The common fix is to get your pistons machined to allow for space such that your pistons won't collide with the valves. Or, you just buy new pistons that already have this cut in them. RSI amongst others supply them.

Here is the method I use.

B230ft block
Notched pistons via notch group buy
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=161442

16v crank gear
extra 16v cam gear for the aux shaft
Yoshifab 16v timing adapter kit

Exhaust manifold:
Yoshifab adapter plate and an 90+ 8v manifold.
of Bling bling bondo manifold

Intake manifold (240, 740 is straight forward)
We (yoshifab) sell a moded plenum manifold that fits the 240 and improves the flow characteristics of the standard b234.

Adapt the 16v 740 brake booster and run the stock manifold.

Ignition:
740 run the stock b234 setup
240 you will need to run a crab cap to clear the head, yoshifab stocks those. If you want to be able to ever remove your distributor with the head on the block we also sell a short distributor. You will need a stock volvo head plug to plug the distributor hole in the head. We also stock those.

Valve train:
You will be an unhappy camper if you retain the stock valve springs. Sealed power ford 4.6 springs solve the valve float issues. Get them from Rock auto or yoshifab.

That just about covers all the weirdness involved in a 16v b230

Oh and read the FAQ.

Did you really read for hours?

16 valve uses round tooth timing belt, so thats why you need an extra cam gear for the aux shaft.

16v crank gear
extra 16v cam gear for the aux shaft

I've noticed that the 16V B234 crank gear is wider than the B230 gear. Putting it on a B230X seems all well and good, but doesn't the wider crank gear move the pulley out enough that the accessory belts don't line up, or is it such a small amount that it is inconsequential?

The belts are slightly mis aligned but its not an issue.

B234 pistons would work but will give you a higher CR and thinner weaker ring lands.

Extra cam gear goes on the aux shaft. Its round tooth and wider to accommodate the 16v belt.

Wow I really must know what the aux shaft is!

higher CR and thinner weaker ring lands?

how much higher 10:1 right?

ring lands another term im not familar with.

Ring lands are the meat between where the rings sit on the pistons, prone to crack under detonation, the weaker they are the quicker they crack.

3uz%20015.jpg

Sweet pics help sooo much!! thanks.

So let me see if i got this right if i dont notch the pistions in the b230ft block they WILL hit the valves?

Btw thats a Awesome Engine!!!!

Sweet pics help sooo much!! thanks.

So let me see if i got this right if i dont notch the pistions in the b230ft block they WILL hit the valves?

Btw thats a Awesome Engine!!!!

Like gottarollwithit said, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

To be safe I would say cut the pistons, if you miss a gear you could bend a valve or worse, hole a piston.

If you want to be 100% sure you would need to check the clearance of the head / block setup for your specific application. (a lil clay or play dough on top of the piston, then bolt the head down and turn the motor over by hand, then check for marks in the clay / play dough that go all the way through.)

As for number 1.... yes/no.....
From a technical standpoint i've read that you can occasionally get away with it. I know one of the guys here has. The block/deck height and piston relationship kinda varies thoughout the years. So... on some occasions you can get a block/head mix that'd do so kinda safely, but on others no.

The common fix is to get your pistons machined to allow for space such that your pistons won't collide with the valves. Or, you just buy new pistons that already have this cut in them. RSI amongst others supply them.

Ok so get all the gears off the B234 block ,crank gear, aux gear, cam gears.
And i can use a 850 timming belt.

Is that correct?

Nope, b234 has no aux gear, you need a cam gear from another b234. 850 timing belt is included in the timing adapter kit i sell. You will not be able to simply bolt a 850 timing belt on.

Back