• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B23ET Volvo 240 - 250-280HP - Help me :)

volvo740best

Hi all!

The goal is 250-280HP for my 244 Turbo 1984:

MGalleryItem.php

My base is B23ET from Volvo 760 1983.

Head: 531 with holes for k-Jetronic (I want original aspect).

For sure I use new bearings, rings, ecc.

For next month my crankshaft go to polish and after go to balance.

Now I dismantled all engine, but i find this on 1 Cyl:

MGalleryItem.php

MGalleryItem.php

If you pass the nail, can not feel anything.

It's a big problem?

Thanks, Bruno.

Looks normal. I've seen worse. How do the bores look in the block? Is there a ridge at the top of each cylinder?

Definitely measure everything. If rebuilding, I'd buy new OS pistons.

Some lighter connecting rods wouldn't hurt it. I'd use an SCP 405 cylinder head with the k-jet holes so the timing cover lines up and works like factory otherwise. The B23ET should have a 405, but no k-jet holes.

Definitely measure everything. If rebuilding, I'd buy new OS pistons.

Some lighter connecting rods wouldn't hurt it. I'd use an SCP 405 cylinder head with the k-jet holes so the timing cover lines up and works like factory otherwise. The B23ET should have a 405, but no k-jet holes.

It's impossible to find 405 or 531 in Italy.

I taked my 531 in Sweden... also first I buyed one 405 but it's BCP and have 3 crack from water passage to combustion chamber.
I not find another 405, so I taked this 531 and i will make holes for K-Jet.

mmm, it's true... timing cover it's different :(

Other option it's to make holes on original B23ET 405, and if I use it it's second resurface of it...

And, How I can calculate correct squish? What squish is best?

Thaks, Bruno.

To calculate piston-to-head clearance (squish), you would have to measure to see if the pistons are above the deck, below the deck, or at the deck at TDC. We took material off the block to bring the pistons to 0.012" above the deck surface. I use an Elring headgasket that some say is 0.047" compressed. Some say 1.0mm (0.039"). Therefore mine has around 0.027" to 0.035" piston-to-head clearance. I use B21 M rods and B23ET pistons in a B23F block and it has performed well. 262rwhp at about 15-16psi from a 60trim T3. IPD turbo cam, 3" exhaust, 3" intercooler, and Megasquirt for fuel and ignition.

You can use either type of head and the timing belt cover from the B21/23 will fit. I use a 531 on a B23F block with an aluminum B21 timing belt cover. The correct backing plate bolts to the block and there's a hole on the head as well that lines up, so the cover fits fine. The only issue is that there is no timing mark for the cam gear and the top half of the back of the cam gear is exposed. On a B21/23 the timing mark is on the valve cover and on a B230 the timing mark is on the plastic backing plate for the cover, so now I use neither of these parts. The timing mark would be in the middle of the valve cover on a B21/23 head, so it's not difficult to see where to line up the gear.

UAO!
Very thanks for all this cool information!!

I have one very good 531 SCP and one very good 405 also SCP...

You which holes for K-Jet?

Probably the best solution is 405...

Very Thanks!

Bruno.

Ok, measured all parts in workshop:

Pistons: 95,93 mm
Bores: 96,10 mm

So difference is 0,17mm + 0,02mm of work on bores = 0,19mm

Workshop tell me that it's work without seize.

What You think?
I see price of OS pistons sets and it's very high for my wallet.

Very Thanks!

Last edited:
0,19mm/2 = 0,095mm = 0.0038".

I believe piston clearance for ET pistons (forged) is 0.0025-0.004", so you would be ok.

Non forged pistons maximum clearance is ~0.0015".

hopefully someone can confirm.

Thanks!

I wait confirm from other member!

Otherwise I find two set of pistons, one +0,30mm and one +0,60mm.

Complete set with rings and center pins 320Euro.

It's cool idea to buy +0,60 if my std. not work?

Very Thanks!

Bruno.

I am not sure. I didn't measure my block...it was done by someone else. I did some of the assembly on the first engine, but that was easy because all the measuring was done and I just had to put the pieces together.

Back