• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bench Race for me: Live axle or IRS...? In a 122s

CORVETTE
DaleRembold-K.jpg

DaleRembold-M-1.jpg

FACTORY 5 THUNDERBIRD
FordT-birdirsfactoryfive.jpg

Last edited:
I've got my eye's on a Supra IRS for my 122 wagon project car (that doesn't exist outside of my head right now). Welded diffs are not really the way to go here if it is for a DD.

I would think IRS nicer ride better wow factor but a live axle could be made to handle and ride nice and would be simpler and easier to maintain. Also as far as options for IRS set up have you looked at the early datsun 240z or early subaru as they are dead simple fixed strut rear suspensions and would be narrow enough to fit nicely under a 122. Also the r280 rear end is a really strong rear end so power would not be an issue.

My.02

Renny

Corvette = strong, but not good for twisties unless you do the late model stuff. There is too much potential for slop in the "upper control arm" (i.e., halfshaft) and when the diff gets worn camber really starts to get unpredictable.

Tbird = really strong and better. Much more common too. Super Coupe would have the 8.8 trac-loc rear, most other Tbird-Cougars got the 7.5"

Your car nor your wheels care what shape the springs are - leaf or coil. Leaf springs are bad when they're holding up a live axle, but the live axle is much of the problem there... The fact that leaf springs don't have much side-to-side locating ability nor torque control make them terrible, but in a Corvette or Cobra, they're just fine. I don't see DeDion tubes anywhere in this thread, though. What are you smoking?

760 = quite weak, probably. I don't actually know HOW weak it is, but the axle stubs are MUCH smaller than a 1030 axle is: 26 versus 27 spline, and probably 1/8" smaller in the diameter.

Stick with the live axle gets my vote. Put a 240 axle in there with a true trac and it'll be strong enough for a whole bunch, and be lighter than just about anything else.

Since the benches are all idling and ready to race.. I came up on a 3.54 locker jag irs for some trade work that I'm planning on putting in the 220. I like it because of how much simpler it is having driveshafts shortened than axles.

142's still hold a track record or two with live solid axle (stock) rear ends in ITB race cars, irs BMW in same class, unless going for wow factor live rears can be made to handle great,
I love mine.
Eric

irs cheep and strong

any nissan irs system i use to deal with are awsome 200/240sx j30 and q45 are all good or even a 300zx

Back