• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

better economy kjet or lh if lh which setup

k jet is just pretty pigish, your comaring old mechanical FI to fully electronic computer controled efi.

OOH, OOH, I know this one!
The LH is more efficient because it injects the fuel one injector at a time as needed. Even on the electronically controlled K-jet, the injectors are squirting the fuel constantly, even on the exhaust stroke!
Regards, Eric

Actually, you can get pretty good economy from good ol' kjet. But overall especially if you get a set of chips for LH2.4. You can get just that bit more of economy from the LH pulsed injection. If you want to setup your car for optimal mileage. Then you need to make your engine a 'tight squish' engine. That will make it an engine that resists detonation and makes the engine less sensitive to octane. Read all about it here on the board.

In a nutshell. You can accomplish the 'tight squish' by taking off the head, measuring the deck height of your pistons and buying a Cometic head gasket that gives you that .035-.040 zone of piston to cylinderhead room. Some of the folks used even less clearance than that if I recall correctly.

Actually, you can get pretty good economy from good ol' kjet. But overall especially if you get a set of chips for LH2.4. You can get just that bit more of economy from the LH pulsed injection. If you want to setup your car for optimal mileage. Then you need to make your engine a 'tight squish' engine. That will make it an engine that resists detonation and makes the engine less sensitive to octane. Read all about it here on the board.

In a nutshell. You can accomplish the 'tight squish' by taking off the head, measuring the deck height of your pistons and buying a Cometic head gasket that gives you that .035-.040 zone of piston to cylinderhead room. Some of the folks used even less clearance than that if I recall correctly.

very familiar with this cr and squish/quensh technogoly but not with the diffrences between
fuel induction systems offered on difrent volvos the 2.4 incorporates a crank position sensor on belhousing?

High compression and LH Jet is typically a good combo for MPG.

I've had several 10.3:1 B23F's that got 32MPG highway using 3.31 rear, M46 combo. Hell, I even had a 4.10 rear end B23F that got 27-28 MPG last year in my 245.

My B230F's they been all over the map, some do great getting comparable numbers to the high CR B23F, but usually 27MPG is doing well with 'em with M46 and 3.31 rear end. Most would do middle 20 MPG-ville.

I am also concerned about getting more MPG's so am going to utilise my megasquirt at last and get a B23F going on it.

I've had KJet do very well too, but it can be a moody beast, some days getting high MPG's other days not.

Yes, LH2.4 will require not only a bell housing engine speed sensor. But you should also add the rear axle sensor for speed. It runs best when it knows vehicle speed. So, you'd have to put in the electronic speedometer and feed the LH2.4 the speed signal.

If I were you and looking to do this economically. I would tune the kjet to be clean using known good injectors and set the fuel pressure to the high side of stock like 80psi. Then install the tight squish head gasket and drive it. Replace all broken vacuum lines. Be sure to use Elring or genuine Volvo gaskets.

That will optimize the kjet for decent mileage and you didn't have to do a whole bunch of engine or injection swap stuff. Then if it's an automatic I would get an AW70 from a newer 240 so you have the overdrive gear for better highway mileage. If it's going to be manual then be sure to get a M46 in there so you have good highway gearing.

When I used to have a 1979 242DL with an M45 in it. I put in a M46 and got 3 more mpg and a 600 rpm drop at highway cruising speed.

High compression and LH Jet is typically a good combo for MPG.

I've had several 10.3:1 B23F's that got 32MPG highway using 3.31 rear, M46 combo. Hell, I even had a 4.10 rear end B23F that got 27-28 MPG last year in my 245.

My B230F's they been all over the map, some do great getting comparable numbers to the high CR B23F, but usually 27MPG is doing well with 'em with M46 and 3.31 rear end. Most would do middle 20 MPG-ville.

I am also concerned about getting more MPG's so am going to utilise my megasquirt at last and get a B23F going on it.

I've had KJet do very well too, but it can be a moody beast, some days getting high MPG's other days not.
The car has kjet in it now but is all screwed up with rust in system and bad parts so am looking into changing to somthing more modern and feesable to this year model was trying to determine best and most economic swap:nod:

Well, no matter what engine swap you decide on. If it needs to be automatic be sure to get a good AW70 with the engine. So, you get that economical gearing as well as the engine upgrade.

Yes, LH2.4 will require not only a bell housing engine speed sensor. But you should also add the rear axle sensor for speed. It runs best when it knows vehicle speed. So, you'd have to put in the electronic speedometer and feed the LH2.4 the speed signal.

If I were you and looking to do this economically. I would tune the kjet to be clean using known good injectors and set the fuel pressure to the high side of stock like 80psi. Then install the tight squish head gasket and drive it. Replace all broken vacuum lines. Be sure to use Elring or genuine Volvo gaskets.

That will optimize the kjet for decent mileage and you didn't have to do a whole bunch of engine or injection swap stuff. Then if it's an automatic I would get an AW70 from a newer 240 so you have the overdrive gear for better highway mileage. If it's going to be manual then be sure to get a M46 in there so you have good highway gearing.

When I used to have a 1979 242DL with an M45 in it. I put in a M46 and got 3 more mpg and a 600 rpm drop at highway cruising speed.

is aw70 a direct swap ex. drive line etc?

is aw70 a direct swap ex. drive line etc?

You'll need to wire in the overdrive relay circuit, get the driveshaft and shifter. That's about it besides the trans. So, yes it's a direct swap.

If you are into economy you may also want to swap to the lighter late model 240 starter. In 1988 they started using a reduction drive starter which is lighter than the original design.

When I was n/a and running LH2.2 on a completely stock B230 with an M46 I was pretty easily getting 30-ish mpg mixed, but mostly highway driving. It was insane and I probably coulda gotten better if I was even lighter with the pedal.
From what I understand the M47 has an even shoter 5th gear for even better mpg, but I can't verify that.

Back