• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bizarre sunroof behavior Volvo 850 Turbo

clipster

1995 850 Turbo - Sunroof opens by itself - When it rains, it's worse. Most of the time, whenever you give gas to the engine to accelerate - the sunroof starts to open.

It's always opening - (never closing). It's not constant - it's like a ghost. Give gas... bump... bump... one inch, two inches, 6 inches...

To make matters worse, removing the fuse to the sunroof did nothing. :rofl: No kidding. It still got power and kept wanting to open whenever I throttled the car. The other day in the stinking rain - man I was po'd... had to have my (lady) friend fight the sunroof by pressing the sunroof closed button.. even with no fuse in the block for it. It would start opening, then she'd press the close button - and it would stop .. (because it's obviously still receiving an open signal from somewhere)... press again and then it would go back to closed. It kept doing this stuff constantly - it was a fight to the end!

I have searched the internet for several weeks and have never found anyone with a set of symptoms like this.

But these sunroof symptoms are not consistent (wow go figure - my car, my problem - and no friggin answers anywhere). This thing hasn't reared it's head in the last 4 days - but last week I did notice my wife came home, and the sunroof was open like an inch. I expect no response to this issue, but I am posting it here for other people that may have come across the same type of problem, but never posted about it.

Thanks all - this is just a rant at the moment. ;-)

keywords: ghost sunroof, volvo 850 sunroof life of its own, sunroof works no fuse, volvo sunroof retracts on acceleration, fuse removed sunroof, raining rain sunroof comes alive, accelerate sunroof open, t boone pickens owns my car and trying to send a God message, 850 wacky sunroof, whacky, whacko, screwed up sunroof. Run out of ideas. :-D

hmm...really really potentially stupid thought here...is maybe the wind catching it when you accelerate?

I don't know, luckely the only sunroof issue I had was fixed by a bit of mono years back (had a leak) but where is the motor that runs the sunroof? maybe that's getting demon possessed? Is there a physical wire you can remove from that temporarily?

(and yes, I believe you for demon possession in volvos....I could tell you many many stories)

I've had switches over the years develop a carbon track in them from use and that will conduct. Not full conducting but enough to make switches do weird stuff. The weirdest one I had was the turn signal stalk had a carbon track. This was enough to conduct and make the turn signal flasher quietly click all the time. The turn signals would work fine but when they were off and it was quiet you could hear the flasher clicking.

Anyway, what you want to do is remove the switch if you can. Then clean with with a plastic safe electrical cleaner. Let it dry before connecting it and trying it out. You can get this type of cleaner from most auto stores. Just be sure it's the plastic safe version. You'll have to spray in the nooks and crannies of the switch so the stuff goes inside to clean the internals.

Anyway, what you want to do is remove the switch if you can. Then clean with with a plastic safe electrical cleaner. Let it dry before connecting it and trying it out. You can get this type of cleaner from most auto stores. Just be sure it's the plastic safe version. You'll have to spray in the nooks and crannies of the switch so the stuff goes inside to clean the internals.

I`ll add a thing to it, (as far as I remember 850 has switches right above rearview mirror) take your time with cleaning, make sure that moonroof is closed before you will remove them, and as I said before, take your time, literally, like whole day, and drive a car :) if moonroof will stay put, you known the reason...

Back