• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bright Light Issues

242DL

So I felt like testing the bright lights on my '81 242 one night and when the fog lights engaged rather than four headlights shining light, one of the main lamps shuts off. When I disengage the fog lamp setting, the light that was out comes back on. The bright lights never actually engage. What do I have going on here?

I mean the "bright" lights for using when it's foggy -- that other pair of lights that goes on when you pull the turn signal arm backwards...

You mean high beams:lol:?

BTW You're not supposed to use them when it's foggy b/c it can reduce your visibility.

sounds like someone rigged your foglights to come on with the high beam switch. First step is to break out a volt meter and check to see if/when each circuit gets current.

i.e.
1 - regular headlights should get 12v with lights on
2 - high beam leads should get 12v with high beams on and regular lights should drop to 0v
3 - fog lights should be on a different circuit and activated by a relay through a seperate switch, usually on the dash

I have had to replace various components of the headlight wiring harness in my 240's - the wires just are not of great quality to begin with. I was tempted to bypass the darn bulb-failure-warning-sensor but I talked myself into the extra work to rig it up to work like stock.

I don't have foglights...I'm guessing I have a simple headlight problem...I've owned the car two years and never replaced the bulbs and they probably crapped out...it's a guess...

Sorry if I got this wrong, but what I got from reading this is: When you turn on your hi-beams, your low-beams turn off, and only come back on when you turn off your hi-beams? If so then that's the way it works. It's not meant to have all 4 headlights come on at the same time.

Huh...then I definitely have a couple of bulbs out...but when engage hi beams it still leaves one of the main lights on...

Oh and that's just my experience with a 740 that had the quad headlights, maybe some cars are meant to have all four on? But if you have an odd number of lights on, then ya something is up ;]

Back