• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Code 2-3-2

n. rippe

Howdy!

I have a code 2-3-2 that keeps popping up on my diagnostic box. According to Brickboard, 232 means a lean or rich condition and lists the O2 sensor as the cause. I replaced the O2 sensor and the code came back. There are no vacuum leaks as far as I can tell. The car ides nicely at about 650 rpms and drives great. FPR does not stink of gas. Anything else I could be missing here? Injector seals maybe?

1991 740T - Car has 87K on it, bought it with 82K just under a year ago. Replaced rpm sensor, cleaned MAF, new plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor (old plugs were a little whitish but nothing out of the ordinary), questionable vac lines replaced with silicone lines. Thanks!

Car should idle around 850, What brand of O2 did you replace yours with? If it's a Bosch, is it a Universal Bosch, or Direct Fit? CHECK for vacuum leaks! Intake mani gasket is common.
If all mentioned is well, it's the MAF, alll day long... Good luck! :)

Yep, looks like you did well on the O2 purchase! So yeah vacuum leaks or MAF, that seems to take care of it. Also does the code set instantly after clearing it?
Or does it take a while?

Yep, looks like you did well on the O2 purchase! So yeah vacuum leaks or MAF, that seems to take care of it. Also does the code set instantly after clearing it?
Or does it take a while?

Not sure. I reset the diag. box after I installed the new O2, checked back a couple of days later and got the code. I'll reset that sucker later today and go for a drive and see what happens. Wish I had a wideband to tell me exactly what's going on!

Not sure. I reset the diag. box after I installed the new O2, checked back a couple of days later and got the code. I'll reset that sucker later today and go for a drive and see what happens. Wish I had a wideband to tell me exactly what's going on!

So no MIL? Just code only?

Malfunction Indicator Lamp. AKA "Check Engine" light.

Nope, no check engine light, just the code. I just reset the box and got 1-1-1. Turned the car on and let run for about 30 seconds and checked again. Still 1-1-1. I'll be going out for dinner tonight, it's a short drive but the engine will run at operating temp for a few minutes. I'll check for codes again at that point.

Thanks!

Went for a 10 minute drive, revved it up a little, peeled out a little, checked for codes and nothing (1-1-1). This LH 2.4 is cooky I say!

I think it only throws a fuel related code after three minutes of it ****ing up, mine comes on almost weekly at this point but I think it's cause there's so much trash in my fuel lines. BTW, an O2S has never been the case for my codes, (Fuel computer, coolant temp sensor, injectors, knock sensor - all those have though, MAF sensor has never been the problem) that diagnostic system knows right next to nothing most of the time. (At least mine doesn't) It's like the computer is constantly in third-person POV, it only sees what's going on, it can't get in there and tell you first hand what the deal is but it knows when it's not right to some degree. Hell I haven't seen a light in way too long now and the car still runs like utter ****. I can't even get a one tire fire at full steering lock in the ****ing rain it runs so dismal.

Last edited:
I've got the opposite problem, everything is perfect with my motor, runs great, lots of power, smooth, and normal gas milage. But, it throws up 113, 232. 231, and 221, constantly. I've looked them up, they are all "I'm vaguely dissatisfied" codes. Perhaps some Prozac in the gas?

Back