• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Drove bosses 242 turbo Group A. What a Blast!!!

Now we are getting somewhere! Excellent work finding that info.

Yes, there are several 83 242's in the USA that have regular hood/grill and no factory intercooler. I've had probably10-15 of them.

The white car you linked to has a factory intercooled boost gauge (yellow section is longer). Can you get a close up of the blue one, I can't see it clearly in the pic.

Factory intercooled cars have the larger dished flywheel. Dealer added intercooled cars have the smaller flat flywheel.

OttoB, good idea.

The problem with timing belt covers is they are easy to change and often break.

I have done some research. I know from before that the three digits on the sticker is the last three digits of the engine part number that are stamped on the engine block behind the ignition distributor. Vadis the old spare parts program says:

B21FT 1981 498898
B21FT 1982 498966, 498967
B21FT 1983 499800, 499801
B21FT 1984 499868, 499869

And my green book specifications says that the SO# is a special wagon number
It also confirms chassis numbers of all 1983 Volvo 242 produced in the world 223940-237369.

The blue car in link above has not the SO#, I saw it at WROM last summer.

So my question is are all 242 Turbo-83 in US intercooled? Flathood and grill?

/Daniel

No, I have two 1983 242GLT cars now. One non intercooled V6 hood and grille and one GT hood and grille, intercooled with SO tag.

Edit: The grille is not GT but you know what I mean.

Yes, there are several 83 242's in the USA that have regular hood/grill and no factory intercooler. I've had probably10-15 of them.

The white car you linked to has a factory intercooled boost gauge (yellow section is longer). Can you get a close up of the blue one, I can't see it clearly in the pic.

Factory intercooled cars have the larger dished flywheel. Dealer added intercooled cars have the smaller flat flywheel.

OttoB, good idea.

My timing cover is gone! :-(

Last edited:

OttoB, good idea.

The blue one has the old short yellow and long red I took pics of it last summer and I have seen at least two more intercooled "flathoods" with the same type of gauge.

/Daniel

c61fb093-bcf2-4a6e-ae4e-53d5913ca8a7_zps34a4d070.jpg

I have found very interesting information from this old thread:

http://forum.turboperformanceclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=253487&hilit=242+Evolution&start=0

Bj?rn Ohlson who owns http://www.240grupp-a.se/English/index.htm says that he has the original pictures from when they inspected the "500 Evolutions" in US. They all had flathoods and sunroofs. He also says the facts are that they only built 30 complete cars when they examined the Evolution cars. They were rebuilt by Volvo people plus other consultans on place in the US. They were approved at the same time by FISA otherwise it would have been no competition continued in 1985-86.

I will start that thread again and contact Bj?rn, I have met him twice so he knows who I am and my car. Before I die I will solve this big mystery :oogle:

/Daniel

They also talk about this aluminum heat protection on the hood is that fitted only on the "flathoods"?

large_274702-2588921.jpg

/Daniel

Last edited:
good work! So , Im wondering if all the original "500" cars had SO numbers and were there turbo Flathoods produced that did not get SO numbers. If so, were these included in the "500" or were they produced on top of the "500". There have been a few up for sale lately that dont have the SO number and most people claim they are fakes that have flathood and grill added sometime after. Im thinking not all flathoods produced got an SO number.

My 1983 flathood has SO2476, chassis # 237022, 800 on the timing belt cover, intercooled, but has the non- intercooled boost gauge.

My 1983 flathood has SO2476, chassis # 237022, 800 on the timing belt cover, intercooled, but has the non- intercooled boost gauge.
When you get a chance, would you check what flywheel it has and report back to us please.
You can see it through the clutch fork hole, so next time you have it jacked up take a peek.

The green book B21FT intercooler says these modifications were introduced spring 1984:

-heavier flywheel 27,9 lb
-modified guard plate above fuel distributor
-new turbocharger wastegate actuator
-new charge air overpressure switch 14,9 psi
-new dashboard pressure gauge (modified scale)
-reinforced inlet hose between air mass meter and turbocharger
-electric cooling fan fitted as standard
-new type expansion tank and mounting bracket

I don?t think the 1983 intercooled "flathoods" have all these mods.

/Daniel

Back