• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder's Beige Brick - ARUNDL - 1981 242 DL +B230FT

Did you get my invite for birthday shens? Because if you are in town you are partaking. There simply is no other chcoice.

Check for "Nerd Weekend AKA Harlard's 29th AKA What's all that noise?" on FB starting 4/29 on the book of face.

Word to your mothers.

I'll try to get some video of the test drive tomorrow. Sounds pretty good running downpipe only. And by good I mean tractor-like. Lots of audible turbine blade pass frequency noise from the 13c!

Yesterday I pulled the car out of the shop for its first test drive. It was running an open downpipe in the morning so I just scooted around the neighborhood a bit. Feels great! Clutch is easy and smooth, engine runs very well, and idles quite nicely now with everything installed.

FYHm6kHh.jpg

In the evening I went back and modified my stock 940 downpipe to work with Karl's 3" system that is currently on loan until he needs it back (thanks Karl). I used a few pieces of scrap to make a step-up adapter to a 3" Vibrant v-band flange. I added a flex section from a random Nissan exhaust we had on hand, and got everything fully welded up. The downpipe is less than ideal but is only temporary while I'm running this little 13c. Turbo upgrade will necessitate a full 3" downpipe as well. Karl's exhaust has two resonators, goes over the axle, then into a Magnaflow muffler in the stock rear position. This is the one with the 3" downward dump but stock 240 cheater outlet welded on, from the old white 242.

DPXQDMZh.jpg

OibcpYgh.jpg

fr6x4LCh.jpg

b5VRmGlh.jpg

I did a quick e-fan installation and drove the car home at about 1:30am. Nothing terrible to report. Much quieter now with the full exhaust, and I think the old '81 temperature gauge is not resistance matched to the temp sender in the head, as it looks like 3/4 of the way up on the gauge is normal operating temp.

Awesome progress!

I think the old '81 temperature gauge is not resistance matched to the temp sender in the head, as it looks like 3/4 of the way up on the gauge is normal operating temp.

The gauge in my wagon bangs between 9 o'clock (thermostat) and about two needle widths from the red (e-fan). I'm running without the compensator board and an 87C thermostat.

Ok thanks for the info. I don't think 1981 gauge clusters have a compensator board, which might explain what I'm seeing.

Made a quick video of the first test drive. Please excuse the mess of wires and loose ECU/EZK under the dash. And the camera angle!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_WFMn8QTb88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah - I don't know why but this car has never had a rear valence for as long as I've owned it. Lost along the way sometime between 1981 and 2009. I like the way they look and plan to run one.

Although I'm not a Millenial, I've been attempting to use Instagram more lately...:roll:

cflodailyturismo The 242 lives! Filling up with 91 for the first time. Because boost.

tDSq9b6l.jpg

Last edited:
It will be properly valenced in due time!

Had a bit of a fail moment on Sunday. I drove the 242 the few miles between home and my shop, and thought I smelled fuel along the way somewhere. No big deal; I was near a gas station at the time and figured someone must have spilled some. Then five minutes later I pull away from a stoplight and see a huge puddle in the rearview mirror. Gas gauge was dropping fast so I pulled over and discovered a massive leak at the inlet hose to my 044 main pump. Was able to limp it the final few blocks to the shop just as it ran out.

cJcrHC1l.jpg

Turns out I had used non-EFI hose back in 2010 when I installed the fuel pumps. It was 1/2" vapor hose. Only took 7 years for the ethanol to eat through it! I ran a new length of proper EFI hose and buttoned up a bunch of stuff under the car. Lots of loose wires and loose fasteners were secured. Still need to finish my passenger seat mounts, finalize some underhood and under-dash wiring, mount the ECU & EZK, and get overdrive working again.

6Yl3hCsl.jpg

Gratuitous upskirt shot.

lxor0vnl.jpg

Back