• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

engine managment

Matthieu

hi
I am almost done with high school 4months left. and since I am going to study engineering, I thought I would try my first project. I know a little about engines as I am a two year diesel tech student. My first project is building a high performance engine. I know everyone say and wants to do this but. ALL I want to know is about engine managment. And what to choose. I am thinking a b234 . All I need to know is if I can scrap the volvo engine managment and go full aftermarket engine managment system . This would probably cost more but would be less trouble. I hear about Megasquirt. haltech and all those stuff. but cant get detailed descritions or cost.
any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Matt
89 740gl wagon

are you serious? try the article comp section RE megasquirt, or subscribe to the mailing list.
cost is ~$200-250

does anyone know anything about ultra mega squirt, or is it just ultrasquirt? anyways ive hard a few people say not to buy megasquirt now, that they should just wait till those come out, does anyone know exactly when that is? and what are the differences?

I have read the site some time ago and I will read it again now. But any other brand and can it be used by it self without the volvo ignition and fuel injection sysytem.
thanks for the help

MegaSquirt 'N Spark is a complete fuel and ignition computer. I'm installing mine either this week or next. Basically you can rip out all the computers and wiring from the car and re-do everything. Gives you full control over ignition curves, injector pulses, blah blah blah. There is TONS of information about megasquirt around, but you have to search to be able to find it. Don't expect to know everything in one night of looking, I've been learning about it for the past few months. It's a really great budget minded system that offers tons of control and isn't all that difficult to make and setup.

John

Matthieu said:
I have read the site some time ago and I will read it again now. But any other brand and can it be used by it self without the volvo ignition and fuel injection sysytem.
thanks for the help

again articles section.....

coldfusion21 said:
does anyone know anything about ultra mega squirt, or is it just ultrasquirt? anyways ive hard a few people say not to buy megasquirt now, that they should just wait till those come out, does anyone know exactly when that is? and what are the differences?

thats the next iteration of megasquirt, supposedly due out this spring, however I wouldnt expect it for a while. Its gonna be uber pimp when its done tho, it will have CANbus support, wideband o2 out of the box, the ability to control other things (via CAN), ion sensing ignition, COP ignition, etc etc...

.....which is why i wouldn't expect it, it takes time to sort those things out, right now they're nailing down the wideband stuff and porting code

That sounds like it rocks Kenny, I admit that I haven't looked into it at all yet. Will the wideband function be using the cheap sensors not the uber spensive ones? And will it be possible to "upgrade" our current MSS's or is it a completely new system/board? What do you think the price range is gonna be?

John

As far as I'm aware the UMS will need another board so upgrading the existing isn't an option, and the wideband is gonna use the cheaper bosch sensor.

from my point of view I'd rather let other's jump on the UMS band wagon and let them guinea pig it for at least 6 month's and then look at moving over, by then hopefully all the bug's will have been worked out, it's like moving to the newest version of windows wait till the service packs have fixed the problems that weren't addressed upon initial release.
If money isn't a constraint I'd advise the DTA P8pro or the Omex 7series purely because they are very good on the feature front and don't cost the earth about half the price of Haltech, but for both you will need an additional wideband o2 controller ie LM-1 or diy wideband.
Hope that helps
Laters
Nick

dirtbike said:
If money isn't a constraint I'd advise the DTA P8pro or the Omex 7series purely because they are very good on the feature front and don't cost the earth about half the price of Haltech...
Nick

what are these: DTA & Omex (got websites?)? and is Haltech stuff overpriced? it seems to me that is well tested in the real world... and durable!
I'm very close to the point of buying an aftermkt fi sys for my 242 project beast with b230ft & TD05-16g... I was looking into haltech stuff, but I'm willing to explore new ways!
tnx guys!

Autronic is also something to think about.. with autotune function, fuelmapping typicaly takes only about 30min of dynodriving.
talking about saving money on dynotime.

The Aspirator said:
That sounds like it rocks Kenny, I admit that I haven't looked into it at all yet. Will the wideband function be using the cheap sensors not the uber spensive ones? And will it be possible to "upgrade" our current MSS's or is it a completely new system/board? What do you think the price range is gonna be?
John

so far it sounds like its only going to cost a little more than megasquirt (~$20 or so, most of that is the cost of the harness connector, they're switching to automotive grade stuff that should be easier to deal with)
The current projected completetion date is early fall, all of the ms code and its derivatives has been ported to the new processor(all at once, i.e. everything is built in as of right now hehe). And given whats already been done and is being done with the current megasquirt, ums is going to be nothing short of amazing.

But I would go ahead and snag a megasquirt setup and get familiar with it, as ums will likely have a similar "feel" to it.

Back