• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

First oil change of ownership

fortbrick

Hey everyone. Looking for some recommendations choosing an oil for my car.

The car is a '88 745t (b230ft) with an m46 trans. It has just over 250k.

I don't drive the car when it's cold outside if that factors in to anything. (It's been sitting all winter)

I would prefer to use a fully synthetic blend but I'm here to see what has worked well for others.

I've always used Mann filters in my other car and will probably continue to do the same with this one.

There is currently what I believe to be some lifter noise which may or may not be related to the oil or age of the oil but the current level is not low. I do not believe it to be detonation because the boost is at the factory level and I reset the timing with the timing belt replacement I did this past fall. The same noise was occurring before the replacement.

Thanks for any advice

5w40 synthetic year round unless you're in extreme cold a lot (0w-something then). I've run M1 and syth from most of the big names and rotela T6 seems to run the quietest. There's 'concern' about the minimal zinc levels being bad for cats but as long as you aren't burning too much oil you will be fine, LOTS of guys run it on here without issue. It's great oil for the price.

There is currently what I believe to be some lifter noise which may or may not be related to the oil or age of the oil but the current level is not low. I do not believe it to be detonation because the boost is at the factory level and I reset the timing with the timing belt replacement I did this past fall. The same noise was occurring before the replacement.

Thanks for any advice

Mobil1 10W30

Can you describe this noise in a little more detail?
Just to nitpick about the nomenclature, detonation and preignition :blah::blah:............

When does it happen? These engines have solid buckets under the cam so a valve tap wouldn't come and go at random like a hydraulic lifter tap sometimes does.

Back