• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Help with adapting wheels

fortbrick

Looking into getting a set of wheels. The size on all four is 16x8, but two of them are et16 and two are et0. I can possibly get all four of them in et0, et16, or two of each (et0 in the rear if staggered).

So, I am looking for recommendations of thickness in adapter for my 745t with fronts in 16x8 et16 (or 16x8 et0 if I decide to put the dishier ones all around) and 16x8 et0 wheels out back. I know the adapters need to be hub centric to wheel centric 5x108 to 5x4.75. I plan on getting them from motorsport tech.

Currently the car is on uncut ipd springs and ipd wagon sways but will be on coilovers in the future. Looking into a 205/40/r16 tire all around but recommendations for tire sizes would be helpful as well. May run a slightly wider tire in the rear if I go with staggered offset.

Thanks!

Looking into getting a set of wheels. The size on all four is 16x8, but two of them are et16 and two are et0. I can possibly get all four of them in et0, et16, or two of each (et0 in the rear if staggered).

So, I am looking for recommendations of thickness in adapter for my 745t with fronts in 16x8 et16 (or 16x8 et0 if I decide to put the dishier ones all around) and 16x8 et0 wheels out back. I know the adapters need to be hub centric to wheel centric 5x108 to 5x4.75. I plan on getting them from motorsport tech.

Currently the car is on uncut ipd springs and ipd wagon sways but will be on coilovers in the future. Looking into a 205/40/r16 tire all around but recommendations for tire sizes would be helpful as well. May run a slightly wider tire in the rear if I go with staggered offset.

Thanks!

Still working on my 745 wheel and tire setup, but why not a 205/55-16? They are really common and a lot closer outside diameter.

From The Tire Rack the 205/40-16 is 926 revolutions per mile, the stock 195/60-15 is 861. To get closer to the correct overall height a 205/55-16 is 837 revolutions per mile, or just slightly larger in overall diameter.

Hmm...might have to enter all the comparison sizes into a spreadsheet, but bet someone already did that.

why not a 205/55-16?

Trying to stay away from a lot of sidewall mostly (for a nice look), and having an accurate speedo reading isn't a killer. Maybe a 50 series if I go wide with some 225's. I've seen these wheels with a 205/40 and they look good.

Trying to stay away from a lot of sidewall mostly (for a nice look), and having an accurate speedo reading isn't a killer. Maybe a 50 series if I go wide with some 225's. I've seen these wheels with a 205/40 and they look good.

205/45 is what i run

I am going with adapters and 225/50-16 (hopefully) but need to see how the stack up of wheel and adapter works out first. Put up a pic when you decide something, and mine will be up in January.

Puny gurly man wheels.

A 22.45" wheel is going to look like ass on your car no matter how much you lower it.

Fuel economy will suffer, and the shift points on your auto trans will be all screwed up as well.

Other than that..

Go for it! 1

205/45 is what i run

Ah, I thought you had said 205/40.

I am going with adapters and 225/50-16 (hopefully) but need to see how the stack up of wheel and adapter works out first. Put up a pic when you decide something, and mine will be up in January.

I'm gonna do a dry mock-up without tires before deciding on tires or adapters to make sure I get it just right, and it will be a while till I get the wheels.

A 22.45" wheel is going to look like ass on your car no matter how much you lower it.

Fuel economy will suffer, and the shift points on your auto trans will be all screwed up as well.

Other than that..

Go for it! 1

Thanks for pointing that out, Ken. I underestimated how short that wheel/tire combination would be. I'll probably go with a 50/55 considering that I saw these on a 240. It's an m46 btw. :-P Some quick math shows that the car would show 58.4mph at 60mph with a 205/55/16 and 60.35mph at 60mph with a 205/50/16. That's a little more filling, eh?

M46 huh? :oops:

Rare bird you have there 'grats.

I'd still shoot for a 25" wheel, and simply step up to 17's for less sidewall.

Factory '88 745 turbo m46 car, sir. :cool:

I plan on having a larger set of "show wheels" in the future. This will be more of a DD/auto-x setup.

Heres my old wagon with 17x8 et 0 front et-18 rear (after adapters) and 205/45 tires. I rolled front and rear fenders and pulled the rear a bit. It was also pretty slammed. To make 16"s look good you will either need to run a bit more tire or be really really low

So basically with 16x8 et 16 front and 16x8 et 0 rear I would go with 20mm adapters

Heres my old wagon with 17x8 et 0 front et-18 rear (after adapters) and 205/45 tires. I rolled front and rear fenders and pulled the rear a bit. It was also pretty slammed. To make 16"s look good you will either need to run a bit more tire or be really really low

So basically with 16x8 et 16 front and 16x8 et 0 rear I would go with 20mm adapters

What were the offsets of those wheels before adapters? In my opinion those are fitted very well in terms of how much they fill out the wheel well. Like I said, in time mine will be that low if not a little lower. Did you mean 20mm adapters all around?

40 series tires are never enough meat on a tire imo. not even for a Ferrari. but you can never go wrong with 50 series tire. you may want to invest in some 5-10mm spacers all around to be sure you get good clearance. And I woudn't go higher than a 18 on these cars and 7 inch wide(17x7 is my personal limit)...any higher and your car will look monkey and ride like crap no matter how low it is.

Those are e39 Style 5's with a et20 offset.

How did he end up with a -18et then?

40 series tires are never enough meat on a tire imo. not even for a Ferrari. but you can never go wrong with 50 series tire. you may want to invest in some 5-10mm spacers all around to be sure you get good clearance. And I woudn't go higher than a 18 on these cars and 7 inch wide(17x7 is my personal limit)...any higher and your car will look monkey and ride like crap no matter how low it is.

I think I'll go with a 50 but who knows. Already decided on these 16x8's.

yep 1.5" adapter rear 20mm adapter front. So yeah for you I would do 20mm adapters all around to get as close to the offsets I had as possible. 205/50 tires would probably be best... I would have gone with a smaller side wall but I was just on stock cut springs so didnt want to go that low. Just depends on how much ride quality you want to sacrifice. I was a junior in high school when i had that car so I didnt really care haha

Back