• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Hood problem - 1993 240

cc-hays

My hood doesn't stay closed. The mushroom shaped latch with the spring surrounding it won't stay in place. As I drive it works itself out, the hood starts to bounce and eventually I have to stop and re-tighten the mushroom and spring component. Anyone have any ideas why this just started to happen? It's slowly getting worse so I'll need a permanent fix sooner than later.

It's probably stripping out, best to get another latch before it blows up and takes out the hood, hinges, windshield and roof edge, and maybe makes you crash the car.

It's probably stripping out, best to get another latch before it blows up and takes out the hood, hinges, windshield and roof edge, and maybe makes you crash the car.

A Mustang I was driving had the hood come open at 90 mph on narrow two lane road. Luckily, I had my tail dragger endorsement on my Pilots License. I used the edge of the road out the side glass to keep it on the road while clamping the the brakes hard. The hood actually folded straight back across the roof. It tore the hinge weld nuts right out of the inner apron. Also, cracked windshield, bent stainless trim and some dents in the leading edge of the roof. A lot of hurt pride as well. It was a 67 Mustang GT Fastback 390 I had just bought. Out for a test drive after trailering it home from SF to Sonoma.

Moral, fix that latch.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'll take a trip to the JY this weekend and find a replacement. Fingers crossed I don't hit a massive pothole and strip it completely before then!

Back