• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Identifying an M90 (in the car)

fatcatbestcat

Professional Hack
Hey,

So I've got a '91 944 turbo that a previous owner swapped an M90 into, some years ago. This isn't super relevant because it's probably staying pretty stock (south of 200 whp), but I'm curious as to what model of M90 it is - I'm aware they made a few different versions.

I've seen some talk on much older forum threads (most of which have lost their pictures, sadly) about there being a style tag or some kind of identifier plate on the side of the gearbox, but no word on exactly where or which side, if this is even true. I couldn't easily find it, so here's a picture of a greasy transmission.

1711750183981.png

The Google machine keeps trying to send me to a Wikipedia article with zero sources that seems like it was written by a forum reject :lol:

Is there a reliable way to identify which M90 variation I have?

Something must be preventing you from getting an account there, so sure here you go:

View attachment 26339
Okay, I'm 99% sure that sticker is long gone. The one on the 1041 is still there, but I didn't notice one on the side of the transmission. I'll check again tomorrow in the daylight.

I guess it's not a super bummer if I don't know - like I said in the first post, I'm not going for any kind of crazy horsepower.

Then just count the turns:
Put it in 1st gear, mark the input shaft and output flange, then turn the output one revolution whilst observing the input.
This was turned anti-clockwise. So if it turns about 3.5 times then it's an M90H, and if it turns about 4 times it's an M90L

Back