• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Interior Temp Sensor Purpose

bmos

What does the interior temperature sensor do in a manual HVAC-equipped 740?
Is it just there in case the car was equipped with temp-control HVAC?

The one in the dome light with the vacuum hose attached.

Last edited:
The one in the dome light with the vacuum hose attached.

(.....actual availability depends on market region ? see below).

In the North American market (USA / Canada), ECC was not offered as an option on their 740 & 940 at all, while ALL of the 960 & S/V90 has ECC as standard equipment. In Australia the 740 & 940 received ECC as standard equipment on both Turbo and 16 Valve models from 1990 (the 8 Valve naturally aspirated models retained MCC), and I?ve also seen late model 960 (1995 onwards) with MCC in Australia.

The most important component of the ECC is the control panel itself, which is basically a small computer receiving inputs from 3 temperature sensors (ambient temp. sensor near the blower fan, engine temp. sensor near the heater matrix, interior temp. sensor hidden in the dome light), and a solar sensor on the dash. ........
=======================================

What does the interior temperature sensor do in a manual HVAC-equipped 740?

Perhaps marketing department had some ideas that didn't materialize for after-market kit.

Unknown, but it may be related to how vehicles are assembled...

(.....actual availability depends on market region – see below).

In the North American market (USA / Canada), ECC was not offered as an option on their 740 & 940 at all, while ALL of the 960 & S/V90 has ECC as standard equipment. In Australia the 740 & 940 received ECC as standard equipment on both Turbo and 16 Valve models from 1990 (the 8 Valve naturally aspirated models retained MCC), and I’ve also seen late model 960 (1995 onwards) with MCC in Australia.

The most important component of the ECC is the control panel itself, which is basically a small computer receiving inputs from 3 temperature sensors (ambient temp. sensor near the blower fan, engine temp. sensor near the heater matrix, interior temp. sensor hidden in the dome light), and a solar sensor on the dash. ........
=======================================

Perhaps marketing department had some ideas that didn't materialize for after-market kit.

Unknown, but it may be related to how vehicles are assembled...
So most likely nothing. I figured that was the case because my 940's sensor is cacked in dust and the 740 sensor looks clean (there's likely no vacuum pulling on that hose without the control head). Thanks!

Back