• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Lost key. How do I open this car?

Sjeng

As title mentions.

Lost key, 1990 940.
I think I can order a new key from the dealer if I have the VIN.

However, how do I find the VIN if I can't open the hood?

So how do I open this car without causing damage?

All help is appreciated.

Vin number is on your dash board or your insurance policy. Don't waste your $35 getting a key made at the dealer. How do you know the ignition has not been replaced. Just open up the phonebook yellow pages and hire a local lock smith, they can unlock it for you fast.

Around here the VIN is in the car documents and insurance papers. Is it not wherever you are?

FWIW, old EU model cars have no visible VIN from the outside, only on the plate in the engine bay (my 2 and 9s at least didn‘t have them)..
Newer cars do have visible ones though.

EDIT: Good point eeaves.

I guess I'm really stupid I didn't think of my papers. Found the VIN. Thanks guys.
Now I hope the dealer doesn't rip me off too much. :lol:

But still, How does one open/start one of these without key?
Or is the locksmith the only way out?

Bypass starter. Just like in the movies. :lol: You can pry the door open with a plastic wedge(may scratch paint), then use a coat hanger with a loop on the end to pull on the door lock(I've had to do on cars that I bought at auction). It might be just better to call locksmith.

91OT5s4bWPL._SL1500_.jpg

Apply to easiest to replace window

First, I question your vehicle. 1990 would be a 740, not a 940.
Second, even if you get it started, you still can't drive it unless you find a way to unlock the steering column.

Most dealers will require proof of ownership before they will order you a key, which means you either know someone with a dealer contact or you go to the dealer in person.

^^^ yep. That kit. Except I always go thru the passenger side just in case I damage something.

Where's that video from 500dollar740 where he slips a packing tie down onto the lock knob...

I used my coathanger antenna once.

Back