• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

m47 maintainence while out of car?

jkior

As mentioned in another thread, I'm turning my auto dd into a manual. While I have the m47 out, is there anything I should do to maintain it? I'm replacing the clutch disk (my brother learned to drive on this one so it's pretty much dead) and although I haven't opened the gearbox up yet, I plan to completely degrease and refill with mtl, probably. It's been mentioned that the primary problem with m47's is lubrication difficulty and that overfilling them will make them last longer - is there a limit to this? i.e., what's too much oil?

So, the question --> is if there's anything important to do before bolting it in?

The reverse lights switch is a LOT easier to get to when the trans is not installed. BTDT. I don't think they fail particularly often, but if it does, you'll wish the trans was on the floor.

A complete gasket ansd seal kit is available from FCP for about $25.
My seemingly good looking shape M47 was scapped after I pulled the rear cover to find a pile of broken teeth. There was also a buckled gear spacer visible from the top cover once I really started looking at it... Anyway the one I had was obviously abused but it is a good idea to at least pop the covers and have alook before installing and then replace the gaskets and seals.
Patrick

jkior said:
As mentioned in another thread, I'm turning my auto dd into a manual. While I have the m47 out, is there anything I should do to maintain it? I'm replacing the clutch disk (my brother learned to drive on this one so it's pretty much dead) and although I haven't opened the gearbox up yet, I plan to completely degrease and refill with mtl, probably. It's been mentioned that the primary problem with m47's is lubrication difficulty and that overfilling them will make them last longer - is there a limit to this? i.e., what's too much oil?

So, the question --> is if there's anything important to do before bolting it in?

Back