• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

May have lost #5 in my V90???

RCR

She was running great and suddenly I felt a vibration like I had a miss at a 70 MPH cruse. Pulled it off and she had a dead miss
I was just a mile or so from home so I limped it in. Hooked up the scanner and is showed a miss in #5 so I just pulled the plug on #5 and
DSCF0624.jpg

The center electrode is just GONE????
No noise no warning just this so---???

Last edited:
or the coil as well...

it's usually plugs or a coil. if it is a bad coil, do yourself a favor and replace all the plugs with a new set of oem plugs.

You don't understand the center electrode is not IN the plug anymore it's simply GONE. Just the hole where it was so it's now IN the cylinder!

These WERE Volvo OEM plugs BTW!

You don't understand the center electrode is not IN the plug anymore it's simply GONE. Just the hole where it was so it's now IN the cylinder!

These WERE Volvo OEM plugs BTW!

Borescope + flexible grabber.

LOTS of fun, don't ask how I know. . .

Did you get the old electrode out?

No luck yet I ran a magnet all around the inside of the cylinder got nothing. Bent the tip to try and reach around the walls at BDC and still nothing. Ideas??
WTF is this crap though as the center electrode normally doesn't just fall OUT of a plug!! I have NEVER sen this happen on a stock motor. The only things close to this I have seen are what happens to a plug at high boost or with detonation.
The new plugs will NOT be the stock Volvo's I can tell you that as with just any other design the center electrode could not just fall OUT in the cylinder!!
Sad thing is I just went over her yesterday when I did a LOF and intake clean and I didn't replace the plugs. I pulled plug 2 and 3 yesterday when I did the oil and filter change and cleaned the throttle plate and MAF they both looked good so I left the plugs alone.

Last edited:
those are not stockers those look like bosch platinum+3 there is no electrode dude...

the so called electrode is within the ceramic thats how its made there is not a regular electrode like what your used to seeing on a regular plug.

It DOES have a brand name silkscreened on the ceramic VOLVO!
DSCF0626.jpg

DSCF0627.jpg

This is what they are supposed to look like
1-4 and #6
DSCF0633.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg

They are silk screened VOLVO came on a Blue and White Volvo card under the blister pack.
Read on the base made in France then 906 X 9146775

Oh. um...ow. You sure that electrode isn't banging around in the cylinder? Any chance it's non-ferrous? You may need a grabber as suggested previously.

Tried sticking a small magnet to the center electrode on one that was intact it stuck. Tomorrow will try and rig up a tube to a shop vac and see if that gets it. If that doesn't work it's tear down time. I just dropped a boatload of $$ on this one and am REALLY PISSED about this happening in particular with a factory Volvo not aftermarket plug!!

Tried sticking a small magnet to the center electrode on one that was intact it stuck. Tomorrow will try and rig up a tube to a shop vac and see if that gets it. If that doesn't work it's tear down time. I just dropped a boatload of $$ on this one and am REALLY PISSED about this happening in particular with a factory Volvo not aftermarket plug!!

Wouldn't it be crazy if it wasn't in the cylinder? it could be anywhere....

Back