• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

megasqirting v6

Matthieu

Ok
I am able to get a toyota 3.0 v6 cheap and I have a friend who is a good fabricating welder and body man . however I want to mega squirt this engine so I don't have to buy the stock ecu and harness. the problem is I don't know what to buy . I read the mega squirt wed site and I know how it works but it doesn't tell you what you need for a specific application.
I want to leave the engine stock first then after I get it working fine I will go turbo Or supercharged .
any advice appreciated
thanks
Matt
miami
89 740gl wagon sllloowww as s%it

what tranny you using? because to my knowledge the V6 Yota doenst have a RWD tranny bolt pattern -

(also the TRD blower is drop on and is good for over 350 hp with a pulley change)

I dunno, same stuff you'd need for our volvo's I guess... Is this a fuel injected engine? Or will you have to fab up a manifold and fuel rail too? I've got a buddy that I'm helping megasquirt his carburrated RX7 rotary, he made up a 1 or 2" adapter plate to mount his new throttle body onto his stock manifold, and he's got 4 injectors sticking in the sides of this adapter. I guess it'll work, I haven't put much thought into it, but he has.

Off the top of my head you'd need 6 injectors of proper size, wiring clips, any coolant temp sensor that fits the head (then use EasyTherm to calibrate it with hot water/thermometer/multimeter), intake air temp sensor (open elemet type), and appearantly the TPS switch is optional now since Kenny says there's a code change that might not need it at all. I'm gonna try this on my brothers 242 when we MS it next week, although I haven't done any research on it, I'm sure there's info on the Megasquirt boards. I think that's it! It's quite simple and straightforward. Come up with something for ignition, 6 cylinder specific. EDIS 6 comes to mind.

John

what v6

it a v6 from a tacoma or 4runner . I would use the toyota tranny
toyota 5vzre
Im thinking msd ignition would work fine just got to figure out the fuel ijection part ( mega squirt) but the mega squirt site confusses me I don't know what to buy

Last edited:
Your plan of researching it carefully is a good one ... but remember that this engine is basically a dog. OK, maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but it's designed for a light commercial; if you're expecting to get Camry performance out of your brick after the Hilux engine is installed, I think you may be disappointed.

Find out what this particular engine already has on it; it will surely have some sensors still on it. Then find a list of sensors & inputs you need for the Megasquirt. My guess it that it'll already have stuff like crank-angle, water-temperature, and that sort of thing; but you might need to get an airflow meter or something like that (or even use the one that's already on your '89 brick).

Unless you have the MSD laying around, just go MSnS (or maybe MSII?) from the getgo. It'll be a little more work, but a swap like this is already a big chore anyway; why not heap some more complications on while you're at it :-D Hopefully it has a real distributor? Otherwise you'll need MSnEDIS or something more intricate.

The engine being a dog is a worthwhile investigation, BTW, it'd really suck to go through all the effort of the swap only to find out you'd have been better off with a B2x+T.

i personaly would not go with that motor. i work at a parts recycler, and we have seen tons of problems with them. with all the other motor options out there i would go with something else. trust me you will go through all the fabing and in the end the motor will self destruct when you put the juice to it. not a good performance motor. trust me. it was toyota's first attempt at a v6 motor and they were not of the normal toyota quality you would expect. IMO. just my 2 cents.

what to do

junkyard dog says it not a good engine choice . so any ideas on whats a good engine.
I would have to have a complete engine managment system. that is fuel and ignition. so the question is what megasquirt part would I have to buy
thanks for the imput to all
Matt
89 740 gl wagon
by the way I have seen many 3.0 toyotas whith over 100,000 and 200,000 miles and they run good. I was thinking of the prv but the toyota has trd superchargers which is a plus.

You basically don't want anything that came out of a Toyota commercial vehicle. Even if they're reliable, they're not necessarily any better than the 4cyl Volvo motor!

Obviously there are exceptions. If your mate can get the 4.5 DOHC 6, and it'll fit in the Volvo, that might be worth a look; they're not huge on power, but they'll pull a brick wall down without breaking a sweat. :) Don't suppose you can get a cheap Toyota/Lexus DOHC V8? What about the IS300/GS300 motor, the 2JZGE? They also came in naturally-aspirated Supras. I'm presuming the turbo Supra motor, the 2JZGTE is outta the price range? 'Cos they're a superb motor ... although MegaSquirt may not be able to run this late-model stuff, and you may need the factory computer to run them (which can get messy ... eg. a mate needs to have the factory 1994-model power rear-window venetian-blind module plugged into his 2JZGTE loom to get it working in his 1982 Supra).

Now what do you mean "which MegaSquirt part"? Have a look at the threads regarding MegaSquirt, and read them to the end; the information is all there. Are you wondering which MegaSquirt ECU to buy, or do you want a list of all of the parts of an engine-management system?

Last edited:
engine clarification

In sydney you probable have the hilux and and prado . which I know comes gas or diesel . however the ones we have in the US and highway car with minimal wear. I would rebuild the motor before installation. I think a straight 6 would be too long and the 3.0 v6 is 200HP stock which is just what I need . I am looking for drivability not a racing car. quite frankly I think the v6 would run better than a 760 or 740turbo. I have researched all the engine options and this toyota 3.0 is the one I want. I just have to figure how to make it run with megasquirt and spark.
thanks for the help
Matt
miami FL
89 740 gl wagon
by the way I know about all the japanese car you have in sydney because we have the same ones in Jamaica W.I.
it would be sweat if I could sway for a 7mgte or 2jzte
to answer your question forg I don't know what to order . that means what mega parts

Matthieu said:
the 3.0 v6 is 200HP stock which is just what I need .

The Jag S-Type and the Lincoln LS both have RWD 3.0L V6 with over 220 HP - ive been looking into those myself latley - motor is around $400-1000 for one out of a taurus (same engine only cheaper cause its not a jag) and the tranny about $7-800.
so for about $1000-2000 you would have a sweet DOHC 220 hp stock V6 that responds VERY well to turbo and supercharger applications. the EEC4 computer that have is very easy to tune and get lots of power - guys with Contour SVT's (2.5L version of that motor) are making close to 500 hp at the crank on about 14 psi

My vote for a V6 would be a Buick 3800. Lotsa low-end torque to get you moving, and responds well to either turbo or supercharged applications, which they've done both before.

An '87 Regal Grand National (turbo), though with only 245 hp, peaks with 355 ft.lbs at 2000 rpm (yes, two thousand). In a car that weighs at least several hundred more than a 240, it did the quarter in under 14 then, so with current techniques, there's lots more potential here.

-- Kane ... yeah, it may be old tech, but then, so is the redblock, and they still work, right?

Matthieu said:
I think a straight 6 would be too long
They're not; it's been done before. I've seen 240's & 740's with Skyline straight-6's (RB30E, RB25DE, RB26DETT), Toyota straight-6's (7MGTE's, 1JZG(T)E's, 2JZG(T)E's), Toyota 8's (1UZ-FE), Nissan V6's (VG30DETT), Holden V6's (GM3800, GM3800-II), and of course the Windsor, Holden & Chev small-block V8's. In fact ... the VG30DE & VG30DETT would be a lot better going into a car than a truck engine ... they sold 300ZX's there, those engines must be fairly plentiful?

to answer your question forg I don't know what to order . that means what mega parts
OK, well there is no way anyone can answer that right now, because we don't know what sensors are on the engine you will be using. Find out what sensors are already on that engine, and what sensors you will get with it, and then you will be able to find out what sensors you'll need to buy along with the MegaSquirt'n'Spark.

Yes, what horse says about Duratecs would appear to be true; the Noble N14 uses a 3.0 Duratec turbocharged, and it's putting out 295kW (~400hp). Even though a lot of FWD cars use them, there are cheaper-than-Jaguar RWD vehicles with them as well, and you might be able to use some of those parts; for example, there are some Mazda/Ford compact SUV's (unsure what model-name they're sold-under over there).

Forg said:
Yes, what horse says about Duratecs would appear to be true; the Noble N14 uses a 3.0 Duratec turbocharged, and it's putting out 295kW (~400hp). Even though a lot of FWD cars use them, there are cheaper-than-Jaguar RWD vehicles with them as well, and you might be able to use some of those parts; for example, there are some Mazda/Ford compact SUV's (unsure what model-name they're sold-under over there).

Yeah - but you need the tranny out of the jag or lincoln - the SUV's only came in AWD with the V6 IIRC - could be wrong but I think that the only tranny that bolts up to the duratec V6 and is RWD is the Lincoln LS V6 MT or the Jag S-type V6 sport MT. at anyrate the FWD tranny is the same thing as the Taurus anyway - so IIRC only US model RWD Duratecs are the ones listed above -
Also the duratec engine sound is one of the best ever - especially with a turbo on it!!!

Again- if anyone knows differnt let me know -

Here is a link to the other board I frequent where turbo Duratecs are getting all sorts of wild! http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...=631452&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

and his dyno plot:
http://www.geocities.com/demonsvt/NewChrisDyno.txt

Back