• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

No charge

cookiemonster131

1987 volvo 240 charging issue. Here is where i am at, charge wire replaced from alternator to battery, ground wire replaced, bolt checked continuity good. Exciter wire tested continuity to firewall connector to alternator and firewall connector to cluster. Cluster bulb comes on when key is on. Power from igniton switch to cluster plug good then to #11 good also. Alternator bosch tests good and have tried a rebuilt alternator also. Still no charging.

I am stumped any help?

What do you mean with "have tried a rebuilt alternator"?
That you have replaced with a spare alternator that has been tester on a bench?

Ok, did you tried to excitate manually the voltage regulator circuit with a flying wired bulb to esclude a problem with the wiring in the cluster?
As you know, once the regulart starts the alternator continue to supply power until you stop the engine also if you disconnect the faston on D+ terminal.
Anothe way to excitate the circuit is to rev up the engine for just for a moment with D+ disconnected (thanks to residual magnetization of the rotor)

I did try to excite it separately with a diode wire. I did not try it with a bulb in line. No i have not tried to rev it up. Never head if that. More checking when the sun comes up

Ok

Replaced
alternator charging wire
Alternator known bench tested good
Ground wire from firewall to block, alternator to block, battery to block and fenderwell and cleaned all metal
Cleaned all fuses and fuse box

Pulled negative cable while running cuts off immediately between negative post and negative measures .127 milliamps

Still no charge

The only two odd-ball issues I can think of are:
- check that the battery post clamps are fully tightened, not just shoved on by hand
- check that the alternator to block ground wire goes to a block bolt and not the rubber isolated alternator pivot bolt

With key on, if you disconnect the charging wire from the alternator, does the dash light go out?

1987 volvo 240 charging issue. Here is where i am at, charge wire replaced from alternator to battery, ground wire replaced, bolt checked continuity good. Exciter wire tested continuity to firewall connector to alternator and firewall connector to cluster. Cluster bulb comes on when key is on. Power from igniton switch to cluster plug good then to #11 good also. Alternator bosch tests good and have tried a rebuilt alternator also. Still no charging.

I am stumped any help?
I'm not familiar with later models but earlier had a ground strap from the top of the engine to the firewall.

A traditional alternator used on old Volvos has only 3 wires: B+, B- and D+
B+ and B= must be connected to + and = of the battery, D+ is the return of the dash lamp.
If connection to battery is ok and you have tried to excite the voltage regulator it must start to produce current (obviously with belt connected and engine running)
May be you have a different model with more connections? (Eg. W, D=, ...)

Pulled negative cable while running cuts off immediately between negative post and negative measures .127 milliamps
I did not undertand this sentence

B+ and B= must be connected to + and = of the battery, D+ is the return of the dash lamp.
If connection to battery is ok and you have tried to excite the voltage regulator it must start to produce current (obviously with belt connected and engine running)

It is a way to test for dead shorts and parasitic draws

Negative on different model. Ground wire, d wire (exciter from dash light) and main b+

Sorry, I should have been clearer:
With key on engine off, if you unplug the thin D+ dash light wire from the alternator, does the dash light go out? If the light stays on, that wire may be shorted to the block (ground), which could prevent charging.

Back