• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C Not Battery? No start.

norcal505

So, on this 02' Cross Country 2.4T we have this problem.
Car wouldn't start, needed a jump each time~start.
But we just bought a new battery for it, and it has the same problem. Needs to be jumped. Alternator? What?
These newer volvos confuse me. :grrr:

I have it for the day, and i need to fix it.

any ideas?

if its the alternator the car wont drive for long off just the batt. after the car is running, it switches over to alt power and doesnt use the batt.

My son's car did this, I ended up using a battery terminal brush and cleaned the battery terminals and the ends of the cables until they were spotless. Bolted everything back up, no more problems.

Yep, ensure the cables are clean and snug on the terminals. If still no success, follow the cables down and make sure they aren't corroded.

Jump the car and get it running, then use a multimeter to mesure the output voltage of the alt by just putting the test leads on the battery post. Should be somewhere around 13-14 volts at idle.

Does the battery die overnight? If yes;

Sometimes you can have a module that keeps the CAN network active, meaning all modules on that network stay active.

Or, you can have a bad siren causing excessive current draw.

The voltage regulators go bad on those too. Once they heat up thay can either stop the alt from charging or kill the battery.

Back