• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil cooler thermostat isn't statin

Stiggy Pop

In the cool kids club
Is there a common failure mode, or any kind of service for a factory oil cooler (air-to-air) thermostat plate that appears to be open at all times? I'm seeing temperature behavior in the pan that indicates the thermostat is bypassing oil all the time regardless of temp.

I just pulled mine and no longer need it. I think it worked but I only ever checked with the hand-o-meter.

Water-oil cooler has no thermostat.
About 20 years ago I checked the one on my 83 242 just to see if it worked at all, and was surprised that it did, given my experience with the wax elements in the airbox. Also I was hoping to find out the elements were at least a similar fit: the airbox tstat for comparison is the one on the bottom.

oilstat1.jpg

oilstat2.jpg

oilstat3.jpg

oilstat4.jpg

oilstat5.jpg

Once the wax thermostat element fails you're basically SOL. I tried to find a replacement Wahler element but none was available. I bought a Mishimoto element (they have 3 different temps available) to see if it would fit but it doesn't.
Thanks, Ian. I'll plan on swapping it out.

Bear in mind 700 oil cooler thermostat is higher temp than 240 thermostat.
anyone happen to know the 700 temps? Looks like the 240 temp above is 75C which is cooler than what I had in my head for the 700 unit I've been running.. thought it was more like 180F range. I probably wouldn't mind running the higher temp threshold, I have a huge 16x7.5" Setrab cooler and over 7 quarts of oil in the system so once any oil gets to the heat exchanger I'll have no problem maintaining temps.

just pulled a 700 series unit out of the shed... stamped with 95C, that's a lot more of a difference from the 240 than I expected. It also makes me wonder if the unit I've been running has ever worked properly, because I have almost never seen the car hit 200* oil temps.

Now I have to decide what I want to do. Try another 95 unit, try and pull in a 40-year-old 75 unit from a 240, or...?

I could only offer you a 40year old 240 oil thermostat in any case. I don't recall oil temps in my car ever going over 210 on a hot summer day. That was with the sump drain plug sensor.

just pulled a 700 series unit out of the shed... stamped with 95C, that's a lot more of a difference from the 240 than I expected. It also makes me wonder if the unit I've been running has ever worked properly, because I have almost never seen the car hit 200* oil temps.

Now I have to decide what I want to do. Try another 95 unit, try and pull in a 40-year-old 75 unit from a 240, or...?
There's a reason Ive owned two b21ft cars that each had over 500k miles on them

There's a reason Ive owned two b21ft cars that each had over 500k miles on them
Kinda what I was thinking, 200*F seems hot...

I just "sink tested" the other plate from the shed and either I'm an idiot or that one is also stuck open. I might be going back to looking at moving the thermostat and filter to the frame rail.... this is not the easy or cost effective solution.

Back