• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

pcv flame trap question

Davin

Here is the pcv flame trap that came off of my car. Car is an 81 240 turbo with the stock b21ft.
P1000255-copy.jpg

When I took it off, the middle section was wrapped in electrical tape to block off the hole in the middle. I did a little research, so I know that there is a spot for a small vacuum line that was broken off of this one.

My question is what does this missing vacuum line hook up to?

Thanks.

Thanks. I dont know about the catch can...this was hooked onto a plastic box underneath the intake manifold.

Last edited:
It hooks up to one of the vacuum nipples on the intake manifold. I am sure that there is a picture diagram somewhere on this web site. If not brickboard.com the 700/900 faq section has a diagram.

B21ft

No actually, it doesn't connect to anything. On the B21FT it is blocked off and only the large PCV hose runs to the turbo inlet pipe. The short large hose on the other side runs to the oil trap box on the block. For the B21FT the constant vacuum from the large hose was all Volvo needed thus no need for a flame trap either. So, make sure all the hoses are in good shape and sealing well because on a B21FT that is a large vacuum leak whenever any of those hoses split or crack.

OK, can I just use a new hose that goes directly to the crankcase ventilation box from the intake?

Thanks for the clarification, I get why it isn't a flame trap since there is no filter, so what does this piece do, and is it necessary? Please excuse my ignorance.

DAM NOOBS!!

No just kidding dude!:lol:
You can leave it out if you want. It's just there so that the F and FT can share a couple more parts. It's pretty redundant.

pcv hose

Sure you can run a hose directly from the oil trap box to the intake elbow of the turbo. Be sure that the hose is made of oil and heat resistant material. That way the oily goop of the ventilation system won't dissolve the hose. For example heater hose is not a good hose to use. An emissions rated or oil rated hose should be good though.

Back