• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

performance automatic shifter for volvos?

740atl

Gear acquisition syndrome
Guys, I would love to be able to shift the aw71 manually, but there's such little resistance in the gear lever between 1-2 (in a 240) that I can't consistently make the shift.... 2 to D is a different story, but by then the game is over. (Maybe it's different for 740/940 people?)

I am completely knowledgeless in this area. Is it possible to mount something like a Hurst Quarter Stick in place of the horrible stock shifter? I've been looking online to the install instructions and I don't see why it couldn't work, but I'd like some more feedback before I go and do this.

many thanks, and happy new year to all!

Mike

the thing is any aftermarket shifter is going to take up alot more room, not to mention that you have to wire in the neutral safety switch and the reverse light . the other issue is finding a mounting bracket that u can adapt to the trans oil pan to old the shifter cable and the to fab or modify the factory trans selector arm . i've done a'lot of work with stock shifters the cheapest way to do what u are looking for is get 2 rod ends and a solid dowel stock and use that instead of the stock shifter rod. if u do it this way its best to leave the trans in neutral . it should cost u about 12-24 bucks for a pair of rod ends and 5-10 bucks for the dowel or all thread with 2 jam nuts .
so u can see this is my b&m z-gate for my 200R4
2011-10-10_17-06-25_461.jpg

Do you like automatics?

For drag racing? YES.

i've done a'lot of work with stock shifters the cheapest way to do what u are looking for is get 2 rod ends and a solid dowel stock and use that instead of the stock shifter rod.

You're saying the rod ends/dowel in place of the factory "twisted rod" will provide more positive engagement than the stock shifter?

Guys, I would love to be able to shift the aw71 manually, but there's such little resistance in the gear lever between 1-2 (in a 240) that I can't consistently make the shift.... 2 to D is a different story, but by then the game is over. (Maybe it's different for 740/940 people?)

Mike
10 minutes on the detent comb with a chainsaw file should make it a good bit notchier.

Has anyone tried a gated shifter for the aw’s toyota counter part. Says works on a340 and aw4. Does that include us?

Back