• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Pre-purchase inspection 1986 240

fortbrick

Good evening fellow brickers,

A nice looking 1986 240 with a "4 speed manual" (I assume m46) popped up on Craigslist and I'm interested in picking it up. What are the major things to look for good/bad with a 240 of this vintage?

He's asking a thousand bucks and the body panels all appear to be of the same color, so this could be a nice daily commuter for me.

Photo of car

http://images.craigslist.org/00101_fTgHokXgf5X_600x450.jpg

Rust . . . of course.

Look for 'bubbles' around the rear wheel well and also under the front seat floorboard.

Beyond that . . . miles, maintenance, what works, what doesn't, tires, hoses, etc.

Yeah, I think 86 still has the bad wiring. Might also be before they started galvanizing bodies. Skinny rod motor too.

Yeah... A nice '94 944t popped up shortly after for the same price. Might go that route, but I'll still go have a look at this.

End of the day, if the 940 is equally as nice cosmetically and mechanically I'll go with that.

Owner of the 240 confirmed it is a m46 car, the overdrive works. Cloth seats, odo gear broken. Besides that no issues he claims of.

Here you go:

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ctd/5170551112.html

:-P

Personally, I would recommend a late, NA 940 wagon if you can find it. One of the few cars I kinda sorta miss is my old white 940 na sedan. Stripper 940s are so dang reliable needing minimal maintenance, perfect DDs if you can deal with the lackadaisical acceleration.

Or buy an accord, camry or 3rd gen 4runner...:)

If you want a 240, get a 240.... otherwise the 940's are much nicer cars.

For the 240, all that matters (IMHO) is rust and cosmetics. Other stuff is relatively cheap and easy to set right. Wiring harnesses are available new from Dave Barton. Manual 240's are fun.

-Ryan

I don't necessarily want a 240, but a nice car is a nice car.

I'd rather have a similar condition 7/9 any day.

Back