• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Preferred machine shop

the_jeremiah

I am mainly directing this to my fellow Washingtonians (Oregonians can chime in too). Whose your favorite machine shop and why? Who would be actually willing to take my money?
- Here is my dilemma, I am trying to build a couple engines. One of them being a stroker PRV (yes I have chatted with John). I want someone to narrow a set of connecting rods about .030 and no one wants to touch them because its "custom". I am getting tired of calling people and explaining that my money is as good as everyone else's. If I had a lathe or a bridgeport I would manage this myself, but I dont. I am interested in who you have had good luck with doing odd ball stuff. Thanks for any insight!

Those states are kinda big. Anywhere in either state?
At this point no, I'm interested in hearing people's opinions. As an example, I have called every machine shop in Washington, no one will offset grind a crank, so I'm sending mine to California. I'm in central Washington, so a trip pretty much anywhere in Washington or Central Oregon isn't a big deal

That's a weird thing for someone to not want to do. Very basic machining. Is it just the journal end you need narrowed? I'm out in the middle of nowhere (Edmonton, Alberta) and there are at least 3 shops locally that would do that without asking too many questions. Could be done on a lathe or mill and then finish with a surface grinder, take it right to your preferred side clearance goal.

That's a weird thing for someone to not want to do. Very basic machining. Is it just the journal end you need narrowed? I'm out in the middle of nowhere (Edmonton, Alberta) and there are at least 3 shops locally that would do that without asking too many questions. Could be done on a lathe or mill and then finish with a surface grinder, take it right to your preferred side clearance goal.
offset grinding a crank is not an basic machining task from my asking around either, the narrowing a rod does seem easier though

offset grinding a crank is not an basic machining task from my asking around either, the narrowing a rod does seem easier though
It might be because we're the last major city as you go north to the oil sands and such, but there are a ton of machine shops here, lots that will spray weld and grind cranks, there's a racing machine shop that certainly does offset grinds, I know of at least one stroker B20 they did that way.

I know a guy who runs a small shop in Vancouver WA. He looked at my cylinder head and did a couple things for me. He definitely knows what he's doing. The real question will be if you are willing to come down here and if he's got the time.

I know a guy who runs a small shop in Vancouver WA. He looked at my cylinder head and did a couple things for me. He definitely knows what he's doing. The real question will be if you are willing to come down here and if he's got the time.
i just shipped 2 crankshafts to california, i think ups and fedex are really big fans of me. :D

Which shop did you send them to?
One crank is going to marine crankshaft to be offset ground - that's the prv crankshaft
Another is out of a 6.5 diesel to get cryo treated at cryoheat.
I get a little discount through work, but the point is I'm not excited to spend the money... but I'll spend what I have to

What are you doing with a 6.5 diesel?
I actually really enjoy them, I have 2, a very rare 95 c1500, and a 98 k3500. I am currently building a 6.5 for the c1500 to be quite the power house. I spent quite a number of years working for a company called heath diesel, where we specialized in making them more reliable and more powerful.

I had a 98 K2500 Suburban. Had some goodies from Heath. A tow tune, relocated the computer, lift pump and put an intercooler on it
Ha, small world, I also have a 6.5TD Chevy and a Brick ('90 740)
Glad to run into fellow 6.5 people.
In the interest of full disclosure, I would love a prv powered brick, but my prv is in a DeLorean, please dont burn me at the stake

I was always under the impression the 260 series cars were easier to find, oh well.

Back