• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

PSA Re: Oil Pumps, Dip Sticks, and Oil Pressure

If you find that you are having an oil pressure issue, you can now add a second item to the checklist of likely causes besides "unseated oil pump orings."

Apparently suction on the oil pumps is strong enough that if say...a piece of your dipstick handle broke off and feel down the dip stick tube, the pump WILL suck that up. Not only that, but it will suck it up and unseat the catch screen.

Oh, and that plastic? There's every chance in the world that since it was small enough to get down the tube, and big enough to create the force needed to blow past the catch screen, that it's in that sweet spot to then get past the gears INSIDE the oil pump, and then just slightly wedge open the pressure relief valve inside the pump.

Neat, huh?

And with that all said, I really still don't have any idea why people can't seem to seat their oil pump orings correctly. Those were just fine:-P

edit// thanks tamnakz and thelostartof for being there for motivation:)

Last edited:
Thanks...on a somewhat related subject, anyone replace the plastic tube that I think is a drain inside the block with a metal one? I cannot seem to find mine or find a new replacement one that is new.

Thanks...on a somewhat related subject, anyone replace the plastic tube that I think is a drain inside the block with a metal one? I cannot seem to find mine or find a new replacement one that is new.

aftermarket: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-pcv-drain-hose-240-740-760-780-940-1306196

genuine volvo: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-pcv-drain-hose-240-242-244-245-740-760-780-940-1306196oe

Neither is metal though...never heard of a metal replacement.

I just got a new oem one. Actually trimmed to the bottom of the pump though, FAR easier to R&R the pan in the car....yeah, BTDT.

And I've had OEM oil pump orings installed come out. Finally put a washer machined for the correct ID/OD to support the oring on, then the oring, then coated with high-tack, and installed. If that leaks I'm tapping the ****er.

Long time no see Elijah.

I just got a new oem one. Actually trimmed to the bottom of the pump though, FAR easier to R&R the pan in the car....yeah, BTDT.

And I've had OEM oil pump orings installed come out. Finally put a washer machined for the correct ID/OD to support the oring on, then the oring, then coated with high-tack, and installed. If that leaks I'm tapping the ****er.

Long time no see Elijah.

Well, because hubris is a bitch not to be trifled with, I did double oring the block end this time around. Of course, it seems my new-from-fcp-euro oil pump is cast a little different than my last one. The bolts I used are now too long; they bottom out. Off to Ace Hardware tomorrow I guess; I mean, it's not like you need more than a half an inch of thread into the block anyway.

And yeh, been busy with work, and married life, and reddit. And I don't much have the urge to come onto the website when I'm not working on the car. The last 5years I've barely made any time for it. Personal goal at this point though: Swap project engine back into project car (dropped a stock engine in to smog it a year ago, so it's still got a year of valid tags) by the end of March...and...maybe drive it to Davis at the end of April?

Cool, another oil pump-related thing for me to stress about before I start my redblock. How common are these blown o-rings that everyone seems to have dealt with?

Dude same here, about to place a huge gasket order and wondered if I should even mess with it. The one clean pull didn't have any delivery issues and for the block I'm prepping, that washer+o-ring thing sounds like a good ideas for peace of mind...

Dam I clicked thinking this being performance that this was gonna be all about how to make your dipstick faster?

Yeah still gotta pull the pan on my 88 245 probably something sticking bypass valve open also. I'll update my thread in

Maintenance when I do. Still zero pressure.

Dam I clicked thinking this being performance that this was gonna be all about how to make your dipstick faster?

Yeah still gotta pull the pan on my 88 245 probably something sticking bypass valve open also. I'll update my thread in

Maintenance when I do. Still zero pressure.

Figured it belonged in 'performance' and not 'maintenance' because no one will ever pull an oil pump unless they're doing 'performance' on their car. I've never heard of one failing.

Back