• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Quality Fuel Line

Cohline 2240 seems to be working fine. That said, I've only had it for 2 months /1000km. Before that I had another DIN 73379 specced hose that failed after 5 months of garage and 2 days/100km of driving... Bursted 10cms before the fuelrail and made a nice mess in the enginebay :omg:
The store that sold me the failed hose gave me a ss braided teflon as replacement, so I might replace the Cohline with that later.

Cohline 2240 seems to be working fine. That said, I've only had it for 2 months /1000km. Before that I had another DIN 73379 specced hose that failed after 5 months of garage and 2 days/100km of driving... Bursted 10cms before the fuelrail and made a nice mess in the enginebay :omg:
The store that sold me the failed hose gave me a ss braided teflon as replacement, so I might replace the Cohline with that later.
I've seen a few types of DIN 73379 hose while searching out information. So far, DIN 73379 3A, 3D, and 3E, with 3D and 3E both compared to SAE J30R9 by the vendor. So DIN 73379 by itself may be an incomplete description. And even if a spec list follows that shows the hose meets your needs, you'll still need to monitor it for a while for the reasons mentioned by c1800.
Maybe eventually we can make a list of the best types of fuel hose to use on bricks. But if I were to guess, the OEM hose would top the list, with Cohline 2240 and Gates Barricade or whatever Belmetric sells as acceptable substitutes.

I've found a site with a datasheet for DIN 73379 type 2A. It is rated for -30 to 90C and 145psi. There is a DIN 73379 type B with similar specifications to type 2A but with braid on the exterior.
Neither have any mention of ethanol in the description, so I can't assume compatibility. But Cohline 2192 which is rated DIN 73779 type 2A is supposedly compatible with E10. However, the site that makes this claim also has it rated for 87psi instead of the 145psi from the other datasheet, so I'm not sure what to make of type 2A.

DIN 73379 type 3D is supposed to be ethanol compatible, and rated for -35 to 135C and 100psi.
DIN 73379 type 3E is Cohline 2240's rating. It is rated for -40 to 135C and 145psi.

I also found this page which has more information about a few of these standards.

Last edited:
That appears to be Cohline 2192. Cohline 2240 appears to be their recommendation for fuel line retrofits and has a much higher temperature rating of 135C which I think may be the cause of my ageing problem.

https://www.cohpro.com/cohline-fuel-hose

However, this may be academic since there are definitely no local suppliers and in fact it appears that the only vendors of 2240 are on the other side of the Atlantic.

I'm not convinced that heat is the cause of the failure. On several cars the hose between the pump and filter sprang a leak and it's not close to any heat source.

Belmetric has the 2240 hose as does my local supplier but it's 3 times the cost. If the 2192 hose doesn't hold up I'll try the 2240. If they put any more ethanol in the fuel I won't have a choice as the 2192 is only rated for 10%.

https://www.belmetric.com/smooth-high-pressure-oem-c-14_139/rh73hp-smooth-high-pressure-73x135-p-10596.html

I'm not convinced that heat is the cause of the failure.
Just a guess, but it might be because E10 is 2192's upper limit for ethanol.

Continuing my investigation, I can't find a DIN equivalent for the SAE J30R10 specification at all. I don't think there is a DIN standard for in-tank hose.

I found out that this discussion has happened before elsewhere, and this page on a Volkswagen website has more information about fuel hose standards. There's a chart of the SAE J30 standards and their basic characteristics on the page. But there is no mention of R14 type 2 in this chart.
Also it warns that there may be counterfeit R9 hoses that are really relabeled R7 hoses floating around. This might be why I got a length of R6 hose in a box of what was supposed to be R9. It could just be that they forgot to scrub and relabel it. I'll have to rescind my endorsement of Prestone injection hose until I can be sure that they're not selling relabeled emissions hoses as injection hose.

Last edited:
Back