• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear Axle Seal Needs Changing

johfraser

My left rear axle seal is leaking and has contaminated everything. Can anyone recommend an honest shop that would have the tools, bearing press, etc to do the job? I'm in San Francisco but could travel in the Bay Area if the job could be done in a day. Would you recommend the bearing and collar be changed also?

Volvo Rear Axle Bearing Assy th-3561825242.jpegVolvo Rear Axle Assy GR-36448.jpg

Sorry, I can't help with a shop in the Bay Area.

The collar isn't supposed to be re-used. You need a bearing and seal kit.

I don't know a shop in the bay area, but the axle being a Mopar sourced part (Dana 30), you may find a jeep shop that is generous enough to tackle the job. Tearing down and rebuilding Dana axles would be something they are very familiar with.

I don't know a shop in the bay area, but the axle being a Mopar sourced part (Dana 30), you may find a jeep shop that is generous enough to tackle the job. Tearing down and rebuilding Dana axles would be something they are very familiar with.
Thanks. Jeep shops are great idea. I believe the individual axles come out by just unbolting the retaining plate (item 6). No access to the differential required.

Sorry, I can't help with a shop in the Bay Area.

The collar isn't supposed to be re-used. You need a bearing and seal kit.
I will order the kit ahead of time. Thanks. It appears its only the drivers side that's leaking. Everything, backing plate, parking brake shoes, rotor, etc on the passenger side are dry.

If the other side is dry. You could only replace the inner seal and repack the bearing. reuse the outer seal on the plate. The original bearings are the best quality.

You could only replace the inner seal and repack the bearing.
I was going to mention that, too. The inner seal (5a in the pic) presses into the axle tube, and keeps the diff oil on the diff side, instead of washing the grease out of the bearing. The outer seal (5) keeps outside crap out of the greasy bearing, and holds the bearing in place via pressure from the retaining plate (6).

Of course, we all know this, so consider it a bit of "How's that arranged?" info for newbies.

It looks like diff oil is coming past both seals. I haven't noticed any noises. Its going to be new parking brake shoes, caliber pads. Maybe the disc also. Its black and looks like carbon embedded in the metal. Its an '81 242DL so I was intending replacing everything. Especially those 40+ hoses! The system has had regular pad changes and brake fluid flushing so I think the steel lines are still OK.

For Volvo-specific mechanic, talk to the the guy working out of the 16th and Guerrero Shell station. He use to run the Volvo garage in the Castro until 7-8 years ago. I have not used him, but know one or two who have. May want to check what is hourly rate is these days.

A couple other gearhead friends take their vintage/classics & newer cars to Barbary Coast in the Bayview. Talk to them to see if your job is in their wheel house (pardon the pun.)

Back