• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Shift stalk reassembly

TestPoint

I took the top off of the shift stalk with the intention of painting the bezel below. Couldn't get the lower part of the 'knob' off so that didn't get done. It appears that there is a missing piece(s) that locks the white spring retainer to notches in the shaft. Sorta like small half moon keys.

Is it time to post in 'WANTED' for the whole assembly or do you creative gents see a way to get this back together?

20170928_154609.jpg

OK, no response . . . .

Let me ask it another way. Anyone got a picture of the shift / reverse interlock mechanism? Or, does anyone have a broken one that they can take a picture of?

Looks like everything's there. Just put the upper half of the plastic knob back on, then push the button back into place. Make sure you push it down firmly, otherwise, the button and spring may wind up on the hat shelf when you engage drive.

At least, according to the diagram on the Smith Volvo site...

https://www.volvowholesalepartsdire...transmission--automatic-gearbox/GR-20715.html

Looks like everything is available, too.

-J

On late 140's and early 240's, the push button slides over the slot in the shaft and holds the spring retainer in place. Once the button is on, the top piece snaps on, preventing the button from sliding off.

Late140Early240AutoShifterKnob.jpg

Yes, everything is there . . . except for the two half moon clips that hold the spring retainer in place.

20170929_174544.jpg

They look like a couple half moon shaft keys. Of course nothing in the key drawer worked. So I chucked a 7/16" bolt with an extended shoulder into my vertical lathe (drill press) and made it 0.39" to fit the nylon spring retainer. Then Dremeled the steel into two half moon keys. That was an entertaining afternoon.

20170929_173420.jpg

Do not attempt to take the shift shaft knob apart ! ! ! !

. . . . or at least be aware that there are two little clips that will surly get lost if you do.

There are no clips required. The push button holds the white plastic disc in place. Push the disc down to expose the groove in the shaft and slide the button onto the shaft. Then snap the cover on. That's it. Chances are, the button is broken if you didn't slide it off when you took it apart. This is how the bottom of the button is supposed to look.

s-l500.jpg

The bottom of the button was obviously broken. Guess I will go back to the parts chart and see if anyone (laughing) has just the button.

Well . . . for a mere $19.28 I can get an OEM Volvo reverse button.

Does this mean I cannot go to Pebble Beach Concures?

Last edited:
On my 79 the button and cap would always pop apart. I was able to get an entire assembly from someone on TB.
No Pebble Beach 'til the carpet goes in.

The carpet is almost in. With the steam formed non-OEM replacement carpet you have to use spray contact adhesive to tack the carpet down in-by-inch as you form it back into all the Volvo floor contours.

Without that detail it is going like like you thru a moving blanket in.

Back