• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Shortening 240 PS hoses while making as small a mess as possible

Forg

So I've finally gotten around to cleaning the no-aircon PS pump bracket for my 242GT and sorta-kinda installed it ... and it turns out the hoses are too long, there's just no way to make the pump fit in the new position as a result. I had hoped to get away with NOT disconnecting the hydraulics, but since I have to change hoses I'm in for a messy treat ...

Thoughts on how best to approach this?

It's just auto trans fluid isn't it? This bit I can look up!

Should the first step be to open the lid & syphon as much out of the reservoir as possible? Then disconnect the hoses?

One I can cut down as it's just a hose-clamp fitting, but the other screws into place. From memory, both ends also screw into place at the rack end, don't they? So because there's a screw-fitting at either end of the pressurised one, I assume I'm going to have to buy an entire new hose - there's no way to shorten something like that is there?

It's getting dark & I can't be arsed messing-around under it tonight, but how much of a PITA is getting to the hoses at the rack end, particularly with exhaust & turbo in place? This must be doable without raising the engine or dropping the subframe - I hope?

Also … anyone know where you can buy a HP hose for a 1980 240 without aircon?

Last edited:
1. It's trans fluid.

2. I put a drip pan under the rack and disconnect the lines.

3. I shortened the line that has a hose clamp on either end. The other line I just looped like a horseshoe and it fit.

anyone know where you can buy a HP hose for a 1980 240 without aircon?

Take your existing hose to a place that does hydraulic hoses and see if they'll make a new one in the desired length for you. Usually relatively affordable. Heavy equipment shops and some car places will have the crimpers and hose for it. Depending on which fittings they have in stock you might need to order them though. :(

Take your existing hose to a place that does hydraulic hoses and see if they'll make a new one in the desired length for you.
This was my plan, and I'm pretty sure this is what I did ~20 years ago with the current hose 'cos back then convincing US online sellers that things could be shipped outside the US was unpossible & hoses/stuff were among the things that were cheaper to get made than to buy from a dealer.

However ...
The other line I just looped like a horseshoe and it fit.
... an interesting tip, I'll try that before sending it somewhere to get shortened or replicated-with-shorter-version! I suspect the hose may be too stiff (as mentioned above it's not OEM and the OEM stuff might be more flexible), but I'll certainly try it as it's going to be heaps less work & mess than disconnecting that hose at both ends!

Wait - "horseshoe"? Hmm, just trying to flex the hose around without undoing it isn't working at all, I thought you'd maybe put a loop in the hose - that might work. Or at least get me out of trouble for the moment. There's more room for looped hoses on that side of the engine than the other side, without the exhaust or turbo or steering being there.

Last edited:
Back