• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

So...I think I need to replace some freeze plugs

Right, so after realizing that two of the hard lines in the coolant system had rusted through (and subsequently either replacing them or welding up the holes), the car still POURS out coolant if its running. Today I got around to figuring out why.

Exhibit 1:
plAQ5.jpg

In this image we see freeze plug 4 and the PCV box (looking down between firewall and intake manifold). That stream of water is quite steady with the system pressurized to a mere 5psi. Notice the very thorough amount of orange where there should be a nice "silver" freeze plug.

Exhibit 2:
17rtX.jpg

In this image we see freeze plug 3 and the pcv box (looking towards firewall from front of engine, under intake manifold, timing belt is the grey triangle taking up the bottom right corner). Notce all the rust orange where there should be a nice shiny freeze plug like plugs 1 and 2. Also notice that you can see all of the plug, and that no water is "shooting" out from it to then bounce off the back of the PCV box to shoot out as pictured in Exh1.

Obviously then, besides the possibility that the block itself has sprung a leak, plug 4 has entirely failed, and plug 3 is very close behind.

What I want to know, is the "proper" procedure to R&R these plugs (and perhaps plugs 1 and 2 if I find they need it) in the engine bay so that I can get at least another year of driving out of this car without having one or both pop out or leak

As always, I appreciate the help!

Back