• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Some Buchka board infrequently asked questions

snurkle

I just ordered a wasted spark board from Cflo, as well as an n.a. chip set from RBP. Something I've been putting off for years. I'm piecing together everything for the wasted spark stuff while i wait for shipping, rereading forum posts, facebook group posts, etc, and I keep coming to the same problem over and over again.

Plenty of other people have asked this same question, spread out across multiple 15 year old threads with hundreds of posts, and occasionally there'll even be a response, but never any follow up, long term reports, etc. Maybe my google-fu is just too weak, maybe I'm just too dumb to read between the lines.

What coil and ignitor setups will work, without self destructing in the short term, with the Buchka board, BESIDES THE UNOBTANIUM LARD ROVER AND MIATA STUFF?

I'm sure the coils and ignitors were plentiful in the junkyards 10, 15 years ago or so, but times have changed. I work at lkq now and have patronized this location for decades as a customer, and I've not seen a 1st gen miata or the correct rover with the recommended coil come through there in YEARS. I just can't see myself paying ~300 bucks new for 30 year old tech to replace my 36 year old tech in a $500 car when LS coils, EDIS components, and myriad other ignition setups are cluttering every junkyard in the country and also happen to be conveniently pocket sized:badboy: and only a few years old in some cases.

So please, anyone that's run literally anything besides the stuff Buchka recommended, please chime in with your experience, thoughts, prayers, and most importantly: part numbers and pics.

Thanks for sharing. It's not like this info could benefit the forum as a whole, which is traditionally the entire purpose of a car forum.
I have the miata and land rover parts that I offered this member for sale at a price well below what they'd stated they cost. I have extras. Do you want some?

I have the miata and land rover parts that I offered this member for sale at a price well below what they'd stated they cost. I have extras. Do you want some?
I figured it was an answer to the question he asked, specifically what works other than those things.

I run the LR coil and Miata ignitor, both snagged off eBay for TB approved prices :e-shrug:
Looking on ebay, I see the price of the j702t has come WAY down since the last time i looked (they were about a hundo, well over a year ago) though I'm still hesitant to run a used unit after seeing several people have problems with them just dying or losing tach signal for no reason in the various wasted spark threads. Also, like i said, i work in a junkyard. Anything smaller than a backpack is free or deeply discounted for me.

Last edited:
I just installed my Cflo wasted spark and wouldn't mind finding a bundled coil pack/ignitor/wires! I feel like I read something about a 2000-2002 VW coil pack with inbuilt ignitor I was going to check out..

I got that Bundled Coil, Igniter, Wires, Mountimg Plate, Plugs and 2 (Ezk & Ecu) Chipped Ecu's...Ezk has daughterboard installed..

I just installed my Cflo wasted spark and wouldn't mind finding a bundled coil pack/ignitor/wires! I feel like I read something about a 2000-2002 VW coil pack with inbuilt ignitor I was going to check out..
I know the one you're talking about, I saw in the og buchka board thread where someone else brought it up and someone else, mighta been Cflo or buchka said the dwell differences would fry something.

So the Bosch coil pack is the go to. Which ignitor, and why?
This may be in some older post, but we've clearly read some of the same posts. I'm surprised that alternatives haven't been discovered.
Is the Miata ignitor the only option? What would be overkill? I like overkill.

*edit following threewagons build thread because pictures. I guess I'm just wishing for something easier. Crazy what all this info can do, I look right over things like whole posts that offer affordable options

Last edited:
So for the sake of sharing knowledge, thought i'd update this thread for the guy that reads it in 10 years.
Leecatd actually sent me a J702t and the rover style bosch coil for free, but the ignitor got damaged in shipping. I went ahead and wired it up for shits n gigs, hoping against hope, but it was DOA. I also noticed the bosch coil looked suspiciously almost identical to the EDIS coil on my roomie's old crown vic with the 4.6l, the only real differences being how the plug wires attach and the pigtail socket. Even the mounting holes are identical.

I remembered it being mentioned in the og thread that the 960 -OR- 2 240 ignitors would work, though i couldn't find documentation of it being done with the 2 ignitors. I just so happened to have 2 spare 240 ignitors sitting around, and some EDIS coils i snagged long ago for a zx600c ignition modernization project i never finished. Found the official schematic online somewhere for the ignitors, and wired 1 up for each side of the EDIS coil. It just works. The biggest downside to the EDIS coil is the complete lack of cut-to-size plug wire options so I modified a set I'm pretty sure came from a Ranger or Vic. It was a MASSIVE pain in the ass.

For anybody wondering, the giant hunk of aluminum on the coil mount was where I initially mounted the mitsu unit and i haven't bothered taking it off. The vrm heatsinks on the volvo ignitors seem to be doing the trick.

I still plan on testing and evaluating some other coil and ignitor combos down the road and documenting it.

Last edited:
i'm not sure how it'll affect that particular coil (maybe not at all) but you are likely over dwelling it if you're running the stock EZK.

afaik they should have the stock dwell
What would over dwelling the coil even do? It pulls strong all the way to redline, no spitting and sputtering like the timing is going whacky or something.

I was concerned about that at first but I figured it's half of the ignition of an engine twice the size with about the same redline so the characteristics *should* be close enough. Coil and ignitors never really seem to get above underhood temp like everything else. I'm pretty sure the Bosch coil and the EDIS coil are identical internally but i have no idea how to even test that tbh.

Back