• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stock intank fuel pumps.

Boosted2003

When I pulled my tank from my car I had to drain the tank. So I thought I would measure the flow rate. I used a accurate liquid canster for liquids to measure the volume. I had my dad hook the fuel pump wires staight to the optima yellow top out putting 13.8 volts.

The pump flowed 5 gallons in 3 minutes and 35 seconds. Front the time pump was plugged in and until after it stoped flowing.

If you calculate that out. It comes to be roughly 84gph or 317 lph. I am not sure if it matters what the pressure was coming out of the pump.

Anyone have any ideas?

My car is a 1990 760 turbo. Bone stock intank fuel pump. Never changed to my knowledge since I say 1998. Before that I have don't since I was to young to remember or care what my parents did to the car.

Pump in tank = high volume low pressure
Secondary pump = low volume high pressure
When you're emptying it into a gas can, there's no resistance, that'd cause a difference in overall flow.

Pump in tank = high volume low pressure Secondary pump = low volume high pressure When you're emptying it into a gas can, there's no resistance, that'd cause a difference in overall flow.
yes - and if the main pump had been going too there would have been a pressure deficit, and so more fuel would have flowed into your bucket in a shorter time...

Pump in tank = high volume low pressure
Secondary pump = low volume high pressure
When you're emptying it into a gas can, there's no resistance, that'd cause a difference in overall flow.

Thats what I thought. Pretty much works like a two stage air compressor. One with high volume/low pressure feeds the high pressure low volume.

In return you pick up a lot of pressure but loss some over all volume.

Thanks guys.

Back