• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Stubborn 960 rear main seal?

the poi

Has been
So I had a 90k mile b6304 that sat for almost a year after it's parent car got rear-ended. I put it in a new 960 and the rear main seal was leaking. I replaced it (it had the old style without the felt facing) with a new one, and the mother****er is still leaking? What the hell do I do now, internet?

^this. Many times a "good" old seal will leak from increased crankcase pressure and will be fine after PVC system is fixed.

Plus, I would use fine steel wool on the crank when you take it out again. Make sure to use a volvo OEM seal..it's worth the money.

Loosen the oil fill cap when the engine is running. See if it gets sucked down, or if it rattles up.
There's a good cheap test to see if you have crankcase pressure or vacuum.

Loosen the oil fill cap when the engine is running. See if it gets sucked down, or if it rattles up.
There's a good cheap test to see if you have crankcase pressure or vacuum.

It's running a road draft tube so I don't have any crankcase pressure
83856724.jpg

It's leaking less than the old seal. Still a leaker. I reckon it's the crankshaft surface, I didn't do anything to it--just wiped it with mineral spirits. I also don't want to do it again because mother****er.

i've never had a good experience with rear mains (3 redblock ones). I had to put a new internal slave on the s60 and ran away in fear of not doing the RMS *perfect*. If it ain't leakin' i ain't touchin'.

I think the green book for the redblocks even suggests using a slightly deeper or shallower mount in hopes of a fresher surface. Could just be my imagination though, its been 4-5 years.

Is it possible that it's a rear cam seal leaking? I had one of those fool me into thinking that I had a rear main leaking once.

Also, I've noticed that some of the aftermarket seals don't fit like the Volvo one does, but it sounds like you've put in a real Volvo one.

Back