• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Sunroof Seal

Is your sunroof leaking? FYI the seals aren't really designed to keep all the water out. If you are getting water inside chances are you need to clear out the sunroof drains.

James

Yes, it's leaking; DAPO somehow got it wedged in the track, keeping it from closing all the way. Instead of trying to get it back in place, he kept trying to close it and got it completely mangled.

And yes, I realize that it is not designed to seal the sunroof completely from the elements, but if it keeps the panel from closing the final 1/2" or so, which DOES allow rain to come in.

So let's recap:
Has anyone had any luck finding new seals and the procedure for taking the roof panel out to do so?

BB has a fair write-up... Not so clear pictures, but good instructions.

As Jarred, he and I did the headliner on his 765 including the panel. Replaced with a good h.l. from the PnP. Not so hard, just tedious and finicky.

Hayes manual or Volvo Green Book. Either one has a pretty good detail on getting the sunroof out. If the cables are mangled (stripped) you will need a good set from the JY. They are available new from the stealership for $200. Takes a lot of patience to get the sunroof right, but if you plan on a couple hours you should be fine. Its likely $50 or so for a complete (good) sunroof from the JY.

you can get a new sunroof seal from the dealership its about 33.00 thats what i paid for my seal for my 740 and its very easy to take the old one off and fit the new one.

Ahh ok. So you need more than the seal. You should be able to get the sunroof panel off without dropping the headliner. You need to slide the fabric panel on the underside of the sunroof back separately from the sunroof panel. It is clipped onto the sunroof panel and I think there are instructions in the brickboard 700/900 FAQ on how to unhook it. Once this panel is out of the way, I believe the sunroof panel just unbolts from the carriage very easily. Unfortunately if you have to service the actual sunroof mechanism you may need to drop the headliner, which is a serious PITA.

Hopefully you don't end up needing to drop the headliner... i went through it years ago when i did my headliner. When my buddy's 740's sunroof flipped up on the highway we just took the easy route and "de-sunroofed" the car with duct tape.

Yes, it's leaking; DAPO somehow got it wedged in the track, keeping it from closing all the way. Instead of trying to get it back in place, he kept trying to close it and got it completely mangled.

And yes, I realize that it is not designed to seal the sunroof completely from the elements, but if it keeps the panel from closing the final 1/2" or so, which DOES allow rain to come in.

So let's recap:
Has anyone had any luck finding new seals and the procedure for taking the roof panel out to do so?

This is more that a seal. I ran into this with my newly acquired 97 960 wagon. If the track is stuck in the channel the only way to fix it if you can't get the track free when it's in place is to remove the whole frame, disconnect the cables and work it free. If you can't get it free, you need a new one. This means taking the headliner out, and the entire sunroof. On the 740/760/780/940/960 up to 85~94 the roof comes off differently than the later 960,95-98 still means a lot of work.
I got the green book from Volvo, $18 plus shipping covers all the models mentioned. It also covers the whole interior, and worth the cost.
https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm

The device works fine, goes all the way back under power but due to the mangled seal, it will not go to the completely closed position. It is not out of the track, the mangled seal keeps it from closing or moving to the 'vent' position.

At this point I am going to have to strong arm the old mangled seal out to get the panel closed and then into the vent position so I can pull the panel's headliner out of the way.

sup man,

i recently had some major issues with my sunroof it got stuck open when i was up at camp pendelton and it was pouring down rain and it was like Niagra falls inside my car.oh and i also had the seats completely rebuilt about a week before hand with new material and foam.

anyways the issue i had was the motor there is a stop mechanizim in the motor that stops it when the roof is all the way forward anyways i got another motor from a 1991 740 and also i replaced the seal too i got the seal brand new from the dealer for 33.00.

also removing the entire sunroof is very easy and not complicated at all thanks to my fellow Tbrickers for the info.

when you open the roof to vent position get a long screw driver (flat head) and gently push down on the corner of the sunroof headliner and you will see a spring holding the liner up to the roof. gently push the spring forward and it will let the sunroof headliner fall down.

do this on both sides then when the sunroof headliner is down slide it back into the main headliner but not to far after you do this there will be 8 screws that need to come out 4 copper colored ones on the front and 2 each on either side after these are removed the whole roof just comes right off or out of the car.

then you will need to remove 2 more screws on each side of the little guides that are bolted to the bottom of the roof. then remove the seal it should come right off effortlessly then clean the edges with some soap and water and apply the new seal it will be a little tougher to get on the roof as its new and you might have to remove a small part of the seal too cause mine was too long.

call any dealership and i am sure they can order it for you believe it or not allot of volvo dealerships have 700 parts in stock

I already did try local dealership, that's why Im wondering if it's something that the USA guys may still have in inventory

I bought one new from the dealer in Corvallis about 1 year ago. I can check with them tomorrow. If they can still get one and you want one, I'm willing to order you one and ship it to you. The plastic bag they come in can fit in a Priority Mail box. Get in touch via. PM if you want me to get one for you. I doubt I'll remember to check this thread.

I need to replace the sun roof seal on my 92 745. Has anyone had any luck finding new seals and the procedure for taking the roof panel out to do so?

Send me, or PM me, your email address and I'll send you a file, from the greenbook, on taking the sunroof panel out.

New sunroof seals are no longer available from Volvo. I wonder who made the bulk seal material for Volvo, and where it can be purchased.

Resurrecting this old thread

Thanks to the tropical storm hovering over me these last 2 days, I think it is high time to get new seals for my 744. I take there is some seal that you can buy and use instead of the NLA factory one. After all, I do not think they had the seal custom made just for them.

Any thoughts?

Back