• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

supercharging

What type of supercharger did you want?, basically there are 3 different types around, or were you looking to pull something OEM off a wrecked jap import?

yank the supercharger off a supercharged toyota previa minivan. It's made for a 2.4 litre and it's what I will be using on my b234f 16 valve volvo if I do not get the turbo project going in time
James

I've never heard of a petrol supercharged Previa ... but assuming it's huffing & puffing into the 2.4 (Tarago engine) I do know of, wouldn't that engine be producing only as much power as a standard B234F? And therefore, wouldn't it be likely it won't be able to provide enough air to get any boost into a B234F?

my dad had one. he actually tried to give it to me but i told him to go **** himself. so he got my the 850 and he got an explorer.

anyways, yeah the 94 to whenever they quit making those crap piles had a supercharger option.

the damn thing sounded like a jet airplane when you floored it.

still wasnt fast though.

The Toyota supercharger will work, but not the ones we get in the states. The SC12 that we have here is only 1200cc and it is made for a 1.5 liter. The ones in Japan are a SC14 and are 1400cc, this doens't sound like a huge difference, but it definatly is. I was able to get a SC14 from a junkyard in Japan. I can squeeze 10.5 psi on a good day on my car with the SC14, and usually about 9.5.

I know that you said that you want to use a Toyota motor, but for others out there, there are a few other things to consider when installing one of these on a Volvo motor.

1. The charger comes with a serpentine pulley, the B230's use V belts.
2. Where are you gonna mount it? On my car, it wouldnt fit on the drivers side of the motor. The steering rack, brake master, and power steering pump are in the way. I mounted mine on the passengers side above the exh manifold. If you use a 16v head then there isnt enough room between the head and the inner fender.

BLOWN240 said:
The Toyota supercharger will work, but not the ones we get in the states. The SC12 that we have here is only 1200cc and it is made for a 1.5 liter. The ones in Japan are a SC14 and are 1400cc, this doens't sound like a huge difference, but it definatly is. I was able to get a SC14 from a junkyard in Japan. I can squeeze 10.5 psi on a good day on my car with the SC14, and usually about 9.5.
Dont forget the TRD blowers that could be spec'd on the 3.0L V6 previas - they added 60-70 hp to the 3L -
Also the M60 (or something like that) off of any othe ponticraps or other GM 3800 series motors should be dandy as well.

keep in mind that the GM blowers are all roots type, not centrifical, like the toyota one... at least I think the toyota one is centrifical....if not, my bad. But yeah, you use a GM blower, I imagine that might be a bit more difficult to implement.

I've heard of centrifical superchargers being sold for the S-10, both 2.2L and 4.3L. You might wanna try looking into that.

The SC12 & SC14 Toyota chargers are roots style. They have a manifold style pipe on each side that makes them much easier to adapt to other cars.

I am not sure about the others.

Problem with centrifugal is that it partially negates the reason people want a supercharger. The screw-types are fairly linear, so that you've got a thick seam of torque down low, whereas the centrifugal types are close to exponential with revs; you need to rev it a lot to get boost. Obviously it's hard-mounted to a pulley, so there's no lag ... as soon as you get revs you get boost, unlike a turbo ... but the point is you do have to rev it in the first place.

I suspect the supercharger off the GM3800-II could be a great idea, but you'd have to customise some manifolding, and you may have to get a pulley custom-made (apparently GM have Eaton put a different keyway or spline on the front of the GM version of that supercharger). horses' TRD blower sounds good too, but I doubt they're as dirt-cheap as a used GM3800-II (or Toyota SC14) 'charger?

Back