• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

timing adjustment clarification

taking8

I've got a '82 244 GLT that purrs like a kitten after basically rebuilding the engine, but when I get it out of the driveway and throw it into gear it bogs down. I'm hoping its my timing, but I've never adjusted the timing before.

I've got my timing light, my timing belt cover (with 10, 20, 30 marks....?) I've got an IPD adjustable gear that's advanced (?) (It's been 9 months since I've worked on this car,It seems like I've forgotten almost everything) a few degrees. I know I hook the light up to the #1 spark plug wire, and watch the crank, but what am I look for in its relation to the light, and their relationship to the marks on the timing cover?

It start up with a bit of determination and some weird noises, but once its running, it idles great, and out of gear it revs up real healthy. So am I correct in thinking I don't have to completely redo the timing (find TDC, etc) I can just adjust it a few teeth?

thanks

See the piece of plastic molded into the lower belt cover that extends over the crank pulley in the picture? That is what you use to adjust the ignition timing with the light. IIRC facing the front of the engine the first mark on the right is 10 degrees, next is 15 and so on. While using your timing light, line up the line that appears on the crank shaft with one of those marks. I can't remember what stock is but 10-13 degrees should be alright.

timingbelt7.jpg

ovlov760 said:
IIRC facing the front of the engine the first mark on the right is 10 degrees, next is 15 and so on. While using your timing light, line up the line that appears on the crank shaft with one of those marks. I can't remember what stock is but 10-13 degrees should be alright.

thanks ovlov-
I checked out my cover and actually the first mark on the right is 30, moving left to 0. So I need to get the mark on the crank matching up at 10-13 degrees (should I do anything different because the numbers are in descending order?) . I'll try it in the morning and see how it goes.

Your timing marks should be similar to the photo above, similar to this:
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/MeTimingMarks.jpg
With the higher number toward the right side (passenger side) of the car.

Start with the engine fully warmed up, remove and plug the vacuum line from the distributor. With the timing light pointing at the scale, you should see the mark on the crank pulley line up to where 12º would be on the scale. Make sure your idle speed is not higher than 900 rpm.

The factory timing spec for your car is 12º BTDC (Before the mark on the pulley reaches TDC) @ 900 rpm, seeing as the engine runs clockwise, 12º BTDC will come before 0º TDC and thus it is toward the right (passenger side).

thanks TFT. here's what I've got:
I painted a line on the outer rim of the outer crank pully, (in the same position as the notch in the metal sleeve thats on the crank nearest to the block) so I could see it when the timing cover was on. I plugged the vaccum hose coming into the distributor, and plugged the nipple on the distributor. I started it up, and the mark I painted is showing up at about 9 o'clock on the crank pully (shown with the timing light attached at #1), nowhere near the degree marks on my timing cover. BUT I'm still idling at about 1200-1300 RPM. how else can I adjust the idle speed? there's no idle control screw on these B21ft's like on my NA 240.

The adjustable cam gear will have no effect on the ignition timing on a block mounted distributor. The 9 o'clock reading is crazy, it sounds like your timing belt is off, I'll bet it's just the intermediate shaft that is off. I'd start by verifying your timing belt marks again, and while they are lined up, pull off the dizzy cap and make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire.

Back