• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 in a 740 wagon

Matthieu

Hi to all
I was thinking does anyone think a Dodge 440 would fit in a 740 wagon . I know some body thinking of doing that but I know one problem is that it weights about 800 pounds. It might be too heavy. What do you guys think. a 350 chev weights about 500pounds. how heavy are the 3.0 in the 960s
Matt
89 740gl I am thinking about a 350 also
Miami FL / Americus GA

i think a 440 would be pushing it...we have one in our powerboat and its a monster...not saying it cant be done, but its definetly on the large side of things.

iirc, a 5.0 ford is about 50-100lbs more than a redblock 4cylinder turbo

instead of the 3L in the 960, the 2.8L six in the S80 T6 (twin turbo) is an awesome choice, several people have done this conversion, but not without rather large costs.

its up to you...what are your reasons for ditching the redblock?

sure you can do it. but while your at it you should probably swap your entire front suspension with that from a pick up truck or something. because to a volvo i thinka 440 would stress the front suspension like you were plowing. and i love torque. but a 440 would create way to much low end for any aspect of a volvo drive train. see the post about unibody welds. that would be you.

replace "you" with "your friend"

i encourage a big block volvo. but i think deep pockets.

if you really want mopar power in a volvo your best choice is to go with a 340 sb. its a beast of a motor. and to back it up id throw a m16 "rock crusher" tranny on the back. these motors have as many if not more parts out there for them than a 350 chev. and make more upper end power than a 350. we had one in a 69 dart GTS and it cooked. i beleive in stock form with the 4bbl they were pushing 330 to the wheels. and around 300 ft lbs of torque. not with a few upgrades such as getting the ****ty carb and intake off anf swapping it out for something like a holley 650 and a dual plane intake would boost hp up to something around 350. its a nice motor id suggest looking into it

everything he said except its a m22 rock crusher. and its the most rugged transmission in the world. dont need the clutch to shift. ever. up or down. and the more high end than a 350 is totally uncorrect. they are both equally capable of making the same huge amount of power anywhere in the powerband depending on how they are built.

Mmmm... Torque is good, but IMHO (and I'm a Mopar guy) a 440 is overkill.

I had a big long write-up about the pros and cons of various V8s, but I'm fairly sure it would go to waste or get so cut up by others it wouldn't be funny. Instead I'll say this: 5.0 Fords are installed in these cars for good reason. SBCs are great, but they weigh a bit more. They'll make much more power than the 5.0, which'll overcome the weight easily enough, but can damage your handling. This too can be overcome with $$$ invested in alloy heads and intake, but I'll bet you're asking about the 440 not because you have a wallet full of cash but because it's available to you.

I'm sure you can get the 440 to fit. You may have to cut out a good chunk of the strut tower/inner fender to get headers to fit, or you could try sticking with the cast iron manifolds (though I doubt they'd fit at all) so you'd probably have to build your own tubular log manifolds. I'm almost positive that you'll never find an oil pan to fit, so you'll have to make your own or go with a dry sump, and I really doubt that a big block 727 transmission will fit in the existing tunnel. You may have to chop out a bit of the rad support crossmember (actually, I'm not very familiar with the 740s, but I know the 302 fits pretty tightly into my 240 with the pulley stack I might be using) and move the radiator forward. I'm betting that you'll need to get a custom aluminum rad built, 'cause the V6 rad ain't gonna be big enough. Then there's the question of whether your hood will close or not, or if you'll have enough clearance between the hood and carburator to be able to breathe.

Lots of buggery, in other words, and once you get it running, will you want to drive it?

I'm losing enough sleep trying to figure out where I'm going to put everything in my own car...

Bored and stroked 302 Ford. It will get you 347ci and with a blower/supercharger you can easily see 375 - 400 HP with out the oil pan dragging on the ground. Installation kit from Converse Engineering is under $900. May not be the engine you want but it would be the cheapest and easiest. You can have either a T5 5 speed or an automatic if you wish. With the kit both engine and transmission bolt right in.

I've been looking into putting a Carb'd 318 into a 745. So far it sounds do-able, with a bunch of custom mounting stuff, tranny tunnel, exhaust, there's the oil pan issue, etc... As for the bigger carbs and stuff i'll just cut the hood up. I'm going to see how the seam welding goes on the 242 and i'll prolly opt to do similarly on the 745 for added rigidity. The idea is to eventually turn it into a pickup after the engine/tranny issues are sorted out.. but who knows.. This is also a engine choice based on it being free, so this is definately gonna be a ghetto build, but for a 700/900 i'd ideally (money no concern) go for a built chevy 350, and for a 200 i'd go built ford 302.

I doubt you will find a 340 cheap. They were only made 2 or 3 years if I am firing the right synapses.

440 is a hog, but a 360 isn't bad.

I would go all aluminum small block. If I had any money.

actually the 340 isnt to hard to come by. yes it was a fairly low production number motor. i think they only made it between 67 or 68 and 72. its a fiarly light motor and has alot of parts for it. im sure searching the local swap meet would get you one for a decent price. or you can just punch out a 318 to 340 spec and go with all new internals. but i bet you can find one with a lil searching. also back in 68 chevy made an all alum. BB 427. but thay only made like 8 or 9 of them so good luck finding one. personally with the v8s i wouldnt put anything bigger than a 351 in the car. also if you guys want something really off the wall. try finding an old hemi from a 300 series chrysler. they were small dispalcment something along the lines of 318 and up. now that would be a hog. also has anyone thought about the chev. 327 SB not as easy to find but would have just about the same potential for power as a 350?

Get a mopar 400 block which is fairly common..then a 440 steel crank. 451 Cubes of bracket killing power. If not a 360/318/340 will may 400 hp with some W2 heads....

Am I incorrect in assuming that an iron 440 would severely tax the unit body of any volvo (or any recent passenger car for that matter)? Check out the Mo Town 454 small block in Car Craft this month - it out performed a BBC 454 in several areas of testing. Very costly of course.

if were talking about what ifs, why not just throw in a BB572 blown, alchohol injected chevy. now that would be a 740 i would kill to drive, or be killed driving.

Back