• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 244 drift car

Turbo placement: why?? Wouldn't you want the manifold runners shorter for better response? I get equal length, but if you are always in boost who cares?
I chose this placement because I wanted to try 65cm runners and low angle collector with the new camshaft(KLR S/T5), and to use the space in front of the engine.

This is my previous manifold;
received_895081238588939.jpeg
This one has 45cm runners, it had the same response but it had less power after 6500rpm, reason maybe runner length, collector or both.
Turbo response is very important in drifting, and rpm/power range.
the biggest change in turbo response was the latest modification, I went from b21 to b23 block, before I had full boost from 3800-4200 and with the b23 I have full boost from 3500-4000.

My first thought is why? You probably have more power with a stock 90+ manifold.
I have never tried the stock manifold but I doubt that the stock manifold would work with a long duration camshaft like the KLR S/T5. Its probably very nice to use the stock manifold in a low hp street application to minimize maintenance.

What water pump are you running? Engine management? Is radiator in the trunk?
Im using the stock water pump.

Engine management is megasquirt 2 v3.57 running on hall crank sensor on 60-2 flywheel, bip373 straigth on msd blaster2 coil, gm IAT, volvo 850 TPS, volvo CLT sensor and mapdaddy map sensor.
Edit: forgot to mention that I use AEM water injection with a 50/50 water ethanol blend.

Radiator is in the trunk with two electric fans that are controlled with a standalone module.

Last edited:
I have never tried the stock manifold but I doubt that the stock manifold would work with a long duration camshaft like the KLR S/T5. Its probably very nice to use the stock manifold in a low hp street application to minimize maintenance.
Guys have dynoed over 500hp on a stock 90+ manifold. I understand your racing it just seems like odd packaging. Even for a drift car. That cam is to big for a stock head I am betting. What are your power goals?

Guys have dynoed over 500hp on a stock 90+ manifold. I understand your racing it just seems like odd packaging. Even for a drift car. That cam is to big for a stock head I am betting. What are your power goals?
I Would love to see the specs on a motor that produces 500hp on a stock manifold and at what boost and rpm.
But there is one thing I know for sure is that I have to use twinscroll to have maximum efficiency and maximum turbo response.

Yeah it seems odd if you compare it to most turbo volvos, but I could not find any other way to get this "experimental" manifold to reasonably fit.

This camshaft does not require any modification to the head.
The head is ported 531 with 46/38mm valves with double valve springs.

The power goal is basically what is enough for the track Im drifting, that is probably around 500hp, Im mainly curious how much boost is needed and what the back pressure is.

Last edited:
What kind of intercooler. Cheap ones can really restrict at higher rpms.
This is an intercooler from klracing, Im dont remember what size exacly, I would guess around 500x300x115 with 3 inch pipe.
I dont think this intercooler is restricting because when I was using the car with the last setup the boost was exacly 1.8 bar through the rpm range with the boost reference on the turbo side of the intercooler, and the IAT was at most 6°c over ambient temp.

I dig the arrangement. Header looks really cool, and the forward placement should keep the turbo from heat soaking. Not sure why anyone would recommend a 90+ for any sort of high HP application, the header is the only answer. Is the car up and running with this setup?

I dig the arrangement. Header looks really cool, and the forward placement should keep the turbo from heat soaking. Not sure why anyone would recommend a 90+ for any sort of high HP application, the header is the only answer. Is the car up and running with this setup?
Thank you.
Yes the heat soaking is better now for sure.
I have been using this setup with a b21 block for almost a year now, however I have not finished the map for the b23 block, only tested the engine on 0.5 bar boost.
The only difference between the b23 and the b21 is that the b23 has a CR of 8.8 and the b21 had 8.0, also the b21 had experimental pistons that had a little squish area at the edge but the b23 has stock flat pistons with thicker headgasket.

Back