• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

volvo d24t transplant

Any new diesel will likely be tier 4, super high injection presslure, come with catalyst, maybe def and spendy.
Oh yes, they take pride in it being California super-legal...

Interesting old thread. I worked at the dealer when they were new,even went to schoolBut the biggest killer was water ingestion. Local body shop that did all of our body work had a standing offer for the dead ones. I think the d24t was available in a 780 in Europe.
23:1 and non-squishable things don't mix. It still kills a lot of engines here in Europe, but I guess since USA had even lower "culture" of diesels back then, it makes sense. BTW, 780's had D24TIC, intercooled D24T with a bigger turbo, actually quite common version of 780 here, because a lot of 780's were first sold in Italy, and Italy had some tax laws favoring diesels back then...
I think Cummins is aiming these at folks who want to "repower" oldish, smaller vehicles, especially CJ-5s and later (small) Cherokees etc. It may end up being cool. I hope you're not right about $12K.
From what I've dug out, Repower 2.8 is actually ISF 2.8 from Foton trucks, packed as stand alone... And general consensus is that the package is going to cost north of 9k $.

But that made me realise that a buddy of mine has a 2.8 common rail 150hp diesel in his tow-truck. 2004 Iveco 65 C 15 D. And that thing is a beast, the way it pulls 6.5t loaded truck up a hill. And it's really smooth and refined. Being a truck engine, I guess engine electronics are pretty much standalone, and being basically a Fiat JTD, it's super reliable and should bolt up to any RWD transmission going back to Fiat SOHC and Lampredi Twin Cam engines... Food for thoughts.

That Cummins looks neat, but I dislike their common rail injection system. The injectors fail open, typically, and then you have a torch in the cylinder. Unless you pay insanely close attention to the way it runs, you will have zero warning before that torch cuts the piston apart, and maybe even the block. Ford's piezo injectors are more reliable in that regard.

That Cummins looks neat, but I dislike their common rail injection system. The injectors fail open, typically, and then you have a torch in the cylinder. Unless you pay insanely close attention to the way it runs, you will have zero warning before that torch cuts the piston apart, and maybe even the block. Ford's piezo injectors are more reliable in that regard.

Well, damn ya'!
Can't a guy have just one thing he can have faith in, like the unquestionable reliability of all things Cummins? I'm gonna stick my fingers in my ears and start blabbering if you keep this up....

Back